Movie Watching On A Budget - Are You Cutting Back?

Drax1

Distinguished Member
With a very fluid situation regarding energy/fuel prices, and interest rates set to keep rising, I thought a thread might be in order to see how our first world problem of movie consumption is affected. Maybe you're thinking of cutting back a little/a lot, or maybe as a passionate movie fan, you'll just carry on regardless.
Is that regular trip to the cinema set to become a rarer occurrence - maybe reserved for the biggest of releases?
Are all those multiple streaming subscriptions looking a little pricey now - will some or all have to fall by the wayside, or maybe you're used (and disciplined enough) to keep cancelling and swapping streamers?
Are those blu-ray/4K physical media purchases set to become a thing of the past?

My own take on things? - Living out in the sticks, a cinema trip is a considerable journey (not including parking), so it's a fair few quid for a night out. There does seems to be less out there that I'll make the trip for these days, but I'm still planning to catch The Northman, Doc Strange 2 and Top Gun 2 on the big screen shortly. Most other content I'm happy to wait for streaming.
I could do with dropping at least one streamer, having Prime, Netflix and Disney+ on the go, along with Now TV a fair bit of the time. There just always seems to be something unmissable around the corner for each whenever I look at cancelling....
My physical media purchases are far less these days, but it has to something I REALLY want to shell out for these days. If I'm brutally honest with myself, I've got a considerable library at home already, with too many titles not yet watched - that alone could keep me busy for months...

Last edited:

bruce-leroy

Distinguished Member
My own take on things? - Living out in the sticks, a cinema trip is a considerable journey (not including parking), so it's a fair few quid for a night out. There does seems to be less out there that I'll make the trip for these days, but I'm still planning to catch The Northman, Doc Strange 2 and Top Gun 2 on the big screen shortly. Most other content I'm happy to wait for streaming.

Very pertinent topic. :thumbsup:

In terms of cinema, I wasn’t going as much as I used to due to work and a young family. When I did, I’d go more as a family or with my wife if we could get a baby sitter. Then Covid put a spanner in the works as my wife is very anxious at the best of times, so the pandemic obviously didn’t help! Since the latter I’ve seen Spider-man No way home, ghostbusters afterlife and recently went to see uncharted with the boys. I still plan to see the bigger ‘tent pole’ films if I can (I want to catch The Batman before it finishes it’s run).

I could do with dropping at least one streamer, having Prime, Netflix and Disney+ on the go, along with Now TV a fair bit of the time. There just always seems to be something unmissable around the corner for each whenever I look at cancelling....

I currently have full Virgin Tv sub that inc. sky movies package and sky/BT sports. I also have Prime, Disney and Netflix. With the next energy increase around the corner, I can see myself dropping Sky movies (maybe even sky sports as well). I do watch football but sky movies doesn’t get watched enough. These channels make up the bulk of the monthly cost. Same for Netflix, i’m not really watching it enough. DisneyPlus is one I could keep as there are always seems to be deals on 12 month sub vouchers that are sold on here, or Tesco do (currently at least) 3 month subs for £8 of clubcard vouchers on their loyalty scheme. I’ve just renewed Disneyplus for 12 months from a 12 month voucher on here for £40 .

My physical media purchases are far less these days, but it has to something I REALLY want to shell out for these days. If I'm brutally honest with myself, I've got a considerable library at home already, with too many titles not yet watched - that alone could keep me busy for months...

Prudence is my motto right now. :D I’m currently operating on a sell to buy policy and I’ve built up a little pot of funds just for physical media purchases from discs I watch and move on in my vast collection. A lot of stuff I’ve bought over the years aren’t keepers so I’ve sold a lot on over the last year. Selling the Blu-ray from 4K purchases also helps - sometimes you get a bit more than you’d expect, particularly if it’s from a new 4K release.

I used to just buy everything for the sake of a purchase but I don’t do that anymore.

barnaby jones

Distinguished Member
Feeling the pinch, Netflix will be the first one for the chop. Got another 11 months of Amazon but I watch virtually nothing on there so that won’t be getting renewed.

Drax1

Distinguished Member
Feeling the pinch, Netflix will be the first one for the chop. Got another 11 months of Amazon but I watch virtually nothing on there so that won’t be getting renewed.
Aside from new Better Call Saul and Ozark looming, I could cancel Netflix anytime. It's rare to see absolute must see movies on there.

Drax1

Distinguished Member
I used to just buy everything for the sake of a purchase but I don’t do that anymore
Same here. It was all about amassing a collection back in the day. I don't do blind buys at all now, and anything 4k related will be something with good rewatch value such as the new Spider-Man flick.

bruce-leroy

Distinguished Member
Same here. It was all about amassing a collection back in the day. I don't do blind buys at all now, and anything 4k related will be something with good rewatch value such as the new Spider-Man flick.

Same here. I’ve only bought 4Ks of older films where the AV is significantly superior to the bluray, e.g. Top Gun, Predator, Die Hard. If not, I’ll just stick to the bluray.

bruce-leroy

Distinguished Member
Aside from new Better Call Saul and Ozark looming, I could cancel Netflix anytime. It's rare to see absolute must see movies on there.

To be fair, there’s loads of interesting foreign/Asian TV content on netflix but its finding the time to watch them!

gavinhanly

Distinguished Member
I have subs for Apple, HBO, Netflix, Amazon and Disney. Probably too much.

I'll keep Amazon because I use the Prime service, so it's just an added bonus. I watch Disney/Star more than anything else so that will stay too. Apple is good, but I should really pause it from time to time.

Netflix is the one that is the most likely to go on hiatus for a while - particularly if they start with the promised cuts to sharing accounts. There are some good things on there, but it's seeming more and more overwhelmed by the dross.

I get nothing on DVD/Blu Ray anymore, just doesn't seem worth it.

lucasisking

Distinguished Member
I have Disney+ and Netflix, plus my cineworld membership. That's my limit. Also my disc purchasing days are more or less over, except for rare exceptions like Dune and Spiderman, or the occasional classic restoration. Renting and free trials fill most of the gaps.

Can't get rid of Netflix primarily for its fantastic suite of tv series', and also my son loves his WWII documentaries. Disney is non-negotiable too thanks to its Marvel/Star Wars combo and getting fairly new releases like Last Duel and Nightmare Alley. If anything has to go it will be cineworld as I can always pay to see the big hitters and wait for the rest. But hopefully it wont come to that.

richp007

Distinguished Member
It's worth chaps always being on the lookout for freebies or trying to barter.

With Amazon you just need to say on Prime renewal I can't afford it and they'll normally knock £20 off for the year.

NowTV just throw freebies out once you've signed up for a few months. I've currently got the Movies for 6 months for free. They just e-mailed me and said they were adding it to my account. I didn't even need to do anything.

There's a 3 month trial of Apple on the PS4 and a 6 month trial via the PS5. If anyone fancies that.

Disney+ I'm just about to switch my mobile to O2 to get 6 months free. Then I'll switch my mum as well for another 6 months :D

Netflix is the only one that never do these things now, but that's so full of sh*te I only sign up once a year for a month or two to catch up on what I've missed.

Last edited:

Drax1

Distinguished Member
NowTV just throw freebies out once you've signed up for a few months. I've currently got the Movies for 6 months for free. They just e-mailed me and said they were adding it to my account. I didn't even need to do anything.
Good point Rich. I've dipped in and out of Now TV, but everytime I go to unsubscribe, they fall over themselves to offer a better deal.

Drax1

Distinguished Member
Disney is non-negotiable too thanks to its Marvel/Star Wars combo and getting fairly new releases like Last Duel and Nightmare Alley.
I was due to knock Disney on the head for a bit, but having seen both appear recently, it changed my mind. And that's before the likes of Obi-Wan Kenobi appear in a couple of months...Damn them! ;)

bruce-leroy

Distinguished Member
It's worth chaps always being on the lookout for freebies or trying to barter.

With Amazon you just need to say on Prime renewal I can't afford it and they'll normally knock £20 off for the year.

There's a 3 month trial of Apple on the PS4 and a 6 month trial via the PS5. If anyone fancies that.

Disney+ I'm just about to switch my mobile to O2 to get 6 months free. Then I'll switch my mum as well for another 6 months :D

Netflix is the only one that never do these things now, but that's so full of sh*te I only sign up once a year for a month or two to catch up on what I've missed.

On the subject of freebies, for those that have a Barclaycard account, Barclays are offering a 5 (or could be 6) subscription for new and also existing customers. I think (but need to check again) the offer to take it up runs until around March or May next year.

I’ve recently come off a 1 year Apple TV sub from buying Apple tech so I’ll join up again at some point before the offer expires.

richp007

Distinguished Member
On the subject of freebies, for those that have a Barclaycard account, Barclays are offering a 5 (or could be 6) subscription for new and also existing customers. I think (but need to check again) the offer to take it up runs until around March or May next year.

I’ve recently come off a 1 year Apple TV sub from buying Apple tech so I’ll join up again at some point before the offer expires.

I've never dipped into Apple, so I've got a shedload of stuff to watch.

Also worth mentioning that O2 give you a free cinema ticket on a Monday too. Which I'll start using once I join up.

KBD

We hadn't been to the cinema in year & went last year to see Dune.
$40 USD just for tickets & we were not that impressed.

Considered it yesterday, because we drove by the IMAX cinema & the film was The Batman.
Pass!

I'm still buying movies for streaming, I go through Movies Anywhere's DEALS list on Sunday evenings. It's a nice spot to look, because they consolidate the sale from all the platforms.

I only buy physical media in UHD now & only if it's not from a studio that's partnered with M.A..
Last physical purchase was The Doors & the first Quiet Place in UHD at a pawnshop for a total of $10.

bruce-leroy

Distinguished Member

You’ve missed out on some great TV then (unless you might have caught them ‘elsewhere’ ;) ).

The Morning Show is really good drama and Ted Lasso is essential viewing.

KBD

Ted Lasso is great & Acapulco is good for a laugh, but the rest of it stinks, in my opinion.
This coming from an avid Momoa fan who wanted desperately to love SEE.

gavinhanly

Distinguished Member
Foundation, Morning Show, Severance, Central Park, Mythic Quest (and Lasso) have all been excellent top-tier TV on Apple IMO. Afterparty pretty good too (although not quite there). I think there's a lot of quality on there, but as there are often big gaps, it's probably worth dipping in and out.

richp007

Distinguished Member
Well I can wing 9 months worth off the PS, so I reckon even with my bonkers watchlist I can get through everything decent!

Drax1

Distinguished Member

Also worth mentioning that O2 give you a free cinema ticket on a Monday too. Which I'll start using once I join up.
I've had Apple for the free trial, and although the movies are slim pickings, the ones that are floated my boat, and the 4k picture quality is stunning. You really should try and catch Finch, Swan Song and the magnificent CODA (my favourite film of last year). The Beastie Boys Story, On The Rocks, Palmer, and Greyhound are all worth a look too.

bruce-leroy

Distinguished Member
This is the Barclaycard offer on Apple sub - you have to claim before 19/07/22:

09D407D2-3F22-448B-86F1-6DBC88F2675D.jpeg

domtheone

Distinguished Member
Thought about it but I only have Prime, Netflix and Disney (pay for 2).

Spend double that at Costa each month so i’ll be cutting down on lattes before any of the above gets the chop.

Try to watch at least 4-5 movies on each platform each month so I can easily justify the subs.

Drax1

Distinguished Member
I currently have full Virgin Tv sub that inc. sky movies package and sky/BT sports.
That's the thing bruce - I also have a basic Sky subscription which is about another £40 odd a month. Need to check as I think I'm almost out of contract, so might go for one of the Manhattan set top boxes. At least they're subscription free...

Last edited:

MovieJunkies

Novice Member
Physical media collection is definitely slowing down, mostly being more selective but new stuff is expensive!

Gonna be making some cuts in the streaming game, but not sure exactly what yet.

The latest video from AVForums

Paramount + UK launch: Halo, Star Trek and Beavis, and all the latest 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Netflix confirms ad-supported option is on the way
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Rotel announces 60th Anniversary Diamond Series Hi-Fi duo
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Paramount+ launches in the UK and Ireland
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Hisense launches A9H 4K OLED TV