1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Movie Trailer Downloads Help

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by docsmith2k1, Jul 5, 2002.

1. docsmith2k1

docsmith2k1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Gentlemen (and ladies)

I don't use my PC as source, but I figured if anyone knows the answer to this it will be in this forum.
    I was hoping to be able to download the latest movie trailers ( I mainly use www.apple.com/trailers ) burn them to DVD or VCD and play them on my DVD player. Can anyone tell me what software etc. I would need. The files are usually in .mov format.
    Thanks in advance
    AndyS

2. ChrisAllenFiz

ChrisAllenFiz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    To play .mov file you need quicktime (from apple not suprisingly, on the same site), or you could convert them to another format using various converters from the net. If you want to make stand alone svcd or dvd then you need to convert them to mpeg 2, and even then they may not be full screen quality

Chris

3. docsmith2k1

docsmith2k1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Do you know where I can get the conversion software from, or if any other sites exist where I can download the trailers in a more suitable format?

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Most movie trailers are not 'downloads' but streamed media. Quicktime will not save them or leave a copy on your disc unless the site permits it. You have to buy QT Pro, at $29 I think? to record them, also from Apple. As to converting from quicktime, I think you'd better research the various movie editing software, I'm afraid the price will probably put you off. I don't offhand know which do .mov to.mpeg converting, but there'll be one out there, most packages run at about £300. It'd be best to get your PC output to your display device and cut all that out. I presume to undertake such a thing you must have broadband internet? You're missing out if you have and don't put your PC on the cinema screen. If you've no broadband, you'll find a movie trailer of any resolution will take the rest of your life to download, and the small files are the size of a postage stamp or horribly pixellated.

5. ChrisAllenFiz

ChrisAllenFiz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Try

http://www.kaneda.freeserve.co.uk/trailers.html

They are in the UK and you can download the trailers. But they are not up to dvd quality really, so don`t expect the earth. If you want better quality (but at a much bigger size) then try a search on google for "VOB trailer download" or something. Studios usually don`t mind people downloading trailers, its downloading the films they don`t like :)

Chris

6. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    This is a little OTT :)
    I do not have broadband but I download trailers all the time. Full screen Quicktime trailers are about 35 - 40mb.
    My ISP is pretty quick - I downloaded a game demo last night - 26mb in about one and a half hours.
    MAW is right about needing Quicktime Pro in order to keep them though - anything downloaded from Apple Movies will be lost as soon as you close your internet browser.

7. docsmith2k1

docsmith2k1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Thanks for your helpful suggestions guys. As MAW suggested I do indeed have broadband. I also have QT Pro, and have downloaded many trailers from their website. What I need is a way of converting them to an mpeg format and burning to disc, or I suppose I could transfer them to laptop and then project them thru my PJ - although this is not as neat a solution as burning a disc. BTW the Twin Towers trailer is the business:)

8. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    As I said, I think only a full video editing package will do the conversion, rhough you might try looking through the apll site and perhaps www.divx.com for a free or shareware conversion utility. I still think getting a link from your computer to your PJ is the real answer!

Lex - I see your location is not very broadband orientated! Mind you, my dial-up ISP was horrendous, you can't get a fast one in my part of the country, line conditions I think. I have a friend in Launceston who is looking for people to campaign for BT to ADSL enable the exchange, you know about broadaband4britain I expect?

9. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    MAW,

Yeah we only just about have telephone's here! Let alone broadband! :rolleyes: On the plus side because of my rural location I thing there is very little traffic on the phone lines and my Freeserve connection is pretty fast (compared to any others I have seen anyway). I haven't heard of Broadband 4 Britain? Is it some kind of campaign?

10. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    www.broadband4britain.co.uk , yes, it's a campaign for rural/no home counties broadband access, check it out and tell your neighbours. Apparently BT actually only need 50 people to make enabling an exchange viable, though I gather Letters to the CEO are req'd to get any action. The site helps you organize.

11. DazJWood

DazJWood
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All the conversion software you need can be found at www.vcdhelp.com or www.doom9.org. Most of these are free and if you read the guides on these sites are fairly easy to do

Daz