Movie soundtrack stutter - causes?

gavin286

Standard Member
Hey guys,

I decided to re-watch my extended cut of lotr on DVD. To cut a very long story short, I've noticed that in certain parts of the film when the music score is consistent (violins etc) the sounds seems to stutter or judder - if you can imagine it sounding not unlike a waaaaaawaaaaaaawaaaaa sound, almost like there is a bottleneck on throughput.

My setup is as follows: Samsung bd-d5100 connected via coax to onkyo tx-sr702.

Config: upscaled DVD, bitstream (re-encode) audio output. Avr decoding to thx surround-ex. (7.1 channel setup).

I am running dts-es from the DVD, but the issue is still present when running Dolby digital-ex.

Has anyone else had a similar issue to this?

Geoff_D

Distinguished Member
It's the R2 DVD, right? The audio was corrected to play at the proper pitch (because PAL is sped up etc etc), it doesn't actually sound too bad until they hit a sustained musical note, which is when it warbles like crazy.

Thankfully there's a very simple solution: BUY THE BLU-RAY.

:D

gavin286

Standard Member
Hey Geoff_D,

Thanks alot for the response. I'm not sure if it IS the R2 DVD, but what you describe is exactly my issue. Thankfully its NOT my equipment or setup... Agreed, the sound is quite acceptable until, as you mention. I heard that the Blu Ray version of FOTR is suffering from a bout of a delightful Green hue. Has this perhaps been corrected? This is the only thing thats stopping me from getting the BD version :)

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom