Movie Screening Projection

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by kyledherman, Feb 28, 2014.

1. kyledherman

kyledherman
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm hosting a movie screening soon, and I am trying to decide between two projectors. The venue currently has an Optoma GT760 projector that has a 720p resolution. My other option is to rent an InFocus IN3118HD projector that does full 1080p. The screening will probably have about 200 - 350 people and they will probably be seated about 20' - 80' away from the image.

My question is, would the difference in the resolution be noticeable at these distances? I want to have the best image possible, but I also would like to save the $125 for renting a projector if I could, since it's coming out of my own pocket. The other issue is that the Optoma has a better short throw range, while I would have to put the InFocus in the middle of the seating for the best picture size.

Any insight would be much appreciated!

2. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,094
    How big a screen are you hoping to project as 80ft away a 10ft wide screen will look pretty small. If the room is not very dark you will probably will not be able to project more than maybe 15ft wide as it will look quite dim.

I would not worry so much about the resolution as much past 20ft the image will look about the same resolution, I would pick the brighter projector though if possible.

What are you projecting onto a proper screen or just a wall?

3. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,450
    How bigs the screen? If the people are sitting further back than three times the screen height, there's a good chance that 720 will be ok from a resolution perspective.

The 1080 pj may give a better image from other attributes such as colour and contrast, but I've not checked the specs.

Set the brightness and contrast using a test disk (THX Optimiser or similar - see my calibration sig below for more info) to make sure the pj is set to produce the best black levels, because having that set incorrectly can make a big difference to how black (or grey) the image will look (or how much detail is lost in the shadows) when producing dark parts of the scene. The same for the contrast and the bright parts.

You may be happy with the image out of the box, but setting the brightness and contrast can make an OK image even better.

Gary

4. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,450
    Darn, Keith beat me to it....

5. kyledherman

kyledherman
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your help. We were able to get about 20' width from the Optomum, and we might make it a little smaller. We are projecting on to a wall because the biggest screen option would be 9x12, which isn't ideal for a widescreen screening. The wall is painted a light blue. We did test the Optomum with the lights off, and the image showed up well. I will definitely look into calibrating it when I get the chance.

Thanks again.

6. SteveCritten

SteveCritten
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,689
    Spend some money and paint the wall a better colour.