Movie "Score" Concert - How are online touts allowed to operate?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by TheDarkKnight01, Aug 4, 2018.

1. TheDarkKnight01

TheDarkKnight01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +454
    You know the ones, Viagogo etc..

As fans we all queue up fairly to purchase tickets for whatever it is, concerts, theatre events, football, whatever it may be, only to be unlucky in purchasing tickets, it happens but what ticks me off no end is seeing hundreds of those tickets then appearing on tout sites minutes later for 20x the price.

A movie concert me and my family all badly wanted to go to unfortunately sold out, tickets ranged from £20-£90.

Minutes later these are all on Viagogo for cheapest of £400. Booking fees are MINIMUM, yes, MINIMUM of £101. (ONE HUNDRED AND ONE POUNDS) BOOKING FEE.

How is this genuinely allowed?

Was having a chat with mates and for all these places that claim they don't encourage it then I'm sorry but something needs to be put in place.

Simple solution could be that whichever card is used for payment that has to be presented as proof when attending the show, say you bought 6 tickets with the card then at least one of the 6 has to have that card on booking. Would stop a lot of these awful touts just buying tickets for profit with genuine fans missing out.

Have any of you bought from there and what would be your maximum cut off point for paying over the odds? In this instance it is 20x the actual face value.

I have a massive dillema and really don't know what to do, I badly and I mean badly want to go, so much, but I can't expect everyone else too as it would be a lot of money, I just morally don't know what to do.

Would any of you even consider paying that?

2. hippo99

hippo99
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,283
    What’s a movie concert? They’re broadcasting a live concert but you watch it at a cinema?

3. TheDarkKnight01

TheDarkKnight01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +454
    Edited the title, I meant to say movie score, soundtracks from movies.

4. Paden

Paden

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I know exactly what you mean & it sucks big time!
    Some times you find those Movie "Score" Concerts are actually touring & you might be able to catch it else where.
    I was keen to see John Williams in London but had a similar experience to you. Managed to bag a cheap ticket in Vienna from the venue. Even with flight & accommodation it still came to less than £100 plus I get a city break! :clap:

Cheers, Paul

5. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,569
    • Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • List
  6. Drax1

Drax1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,873
    I was gutted to miss out on the John Williams concert, surely his last round of live shows. I checked out the likes of Viagogo, and they were nudging £300 a pop. I cant justify that for a gig. If Mrs Drax found out, I'd be for the high jump...:eek:

7. TheDarkKnight01

TheDarkKnight01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +454
    £300 minimum, plus a booking fee of £101..

Absolutely disgusting.

8. Derek S-H

Derek S-H
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,863
    It is legitimised piracy and governments have been turning a blind eye to this for years. There's a supposed to be a government department that oversees this sort of thing - Department for Culture, Media & Sport - what is their purpose? They are bloody useless.

And before we get the usual apologist argument that it's just, "the market" or, "supply and demand". No it's not! It's sheer greed and exploitation and I can't wait for these cowboys to be put out of action.

They don't care about the artists and they don't care about the fans, all they care about are their profits.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2018
  9. systemsdead

systemsdead
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,490
    It wouldn't surprise if half the artist and managers were lining their pockets and behind this scam either.

10. McNab

McNab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +478
    I thought the powers that be were cracking down on this. I seem to remember an article on the London local news where they were targeting the Ed Sheeran concert and only allowing the people named on the ticket into the venue.

They also discovered that these sites were selling tickets they didn't actually have. People were told to pick up their tickets from outside the venue, but the guy dropping off the tickets didn't have them and was trying to buy them from people going in.

Yeah, it would be easy enough just to insist that people brought ID with them to the venue to show they were the original purchaser.

11. hippo99

hippo99
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,283
    Sometimes when an artist actually tries to do something about it, some ‘fans’ (ie the idiot ones) give them a bollocking for it!
    Ed Sheeran fans fume over invalid tickets

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  12. Derek S-H

Derek S-H
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,863
    Says Viagogo, "These types of entry restrictions are highly unfair". What, and charging 400% mark up PLUS £101 booking fee like the OP described isn't?o_O

What fudgeing planet are these cretins on whereby that is justifiable? Honestly, if they all went under tomorrow no one would notice. Their positive contribution to society is negligible.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2018
  13. hippo99

hippo99
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,283
  14. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +12,060
    Great news. Hopefully this will prompt more closures of these scum sucking sites.

15. TheDarkKnight01

TheDarkKnight01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +454
    It's as if they read this post and decided to act upon it :laugh:.

In all seriousness this is a good thing, I think I read that Ticketmaster's tout sites Get Me In and Seatwave only account for around 18% of the online ticket tout market, but fingers crossed this has a knock on effect. ViaGoGo are under investigation but it feels like they have been for years now and I am sure they will try their best to find a loophole.

Here's hoping they shut them all down before the show so I can pay face value for the tickets, that true fans who unluckily missed out deserve.