Movie Reviews

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by Lex, Apr 1, 2002.

1. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi all,

What are your views on movie reviews? Do any of you take any notice of them? Are there any reviewers you think are particularly good?

I just bought this months Empire Magazine and it has a review of the new Crimson Tide DVD. They have given it only three stars and say that the film is "sunk by a toothless ending".
    Now I remember when the film was first released at the cinema (back in about 1995) and all the posters were plastered with a quote from Empire: "Tension You Can Chew On" FIVE STARS!

Well what has changed? The film is still the same, and if anything IMHO it is even more satisfying on DVD then it was at the cinema!

It does make me suspicious about the motives of many of these magazines/newspapers etc. It seems to me that often they are simply giving good reviews just to get their names on the posters!

But why change their minds about Crimson Tide? I could maybe understand it if the film had become dated, but this doesn't apply here.
    And anyway they are now criticising it for the ending - well its the same ending it had last time they reviewed it!

I am writing to Empire to see if they wish to comment on this?

Thoughts anyone?

2. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Reviews are good as a guideline but not the last word since they can be very subjective. I read some (usually in newspapers) but don't give too much weight to it, if I want to see the movie I will still go and see it, no matter the rating.

3. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,062
    I've seen some films on the strength of a reviewer slating some things, you tend to get to know some of them and their lack of honour. Mostly I judge by the story/setting line not what some brain in a box has to say.

4. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,176
    One thing, never take any notice of quotes on posters, they are ether taken out of context or they sometime just use the only good sentence in a stinker of a review.
    As to the difference in the two for Crimson Tide, could this just be down to different reviewers.

5. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Whilst I am sure different reviewers within Empire have different opinions - generally magazines and newspapers talk with 'one voice' ie the editor decides whether or not the magazine/newspaper likes or dislikes a film.

To be honest I don't think I have ever been influenced to see or not see a film because of what reviewers say, and I very rarely agree with their opinions. Most of them have little understanding of cinema anyway - I remember Barry Norman complaining that Se7en was too darkly lit!! :rolleyes:

6. Shoka

Shoka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +238
    What you have to remember is that a review is writen from one persons point of view, I could sit here and say such and such a film is rubbish but the next person could say that film was amazing, it all comes down to opinion.

Taking a neutral stance on a film can also be hard, say for instance you can't stand Sci-fi and some one asks you to review Star Trek, you are instantly not going to get into the film, unless it is such a good film that it changes your opinion on that genre, actor, or director.

7. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,176
    In some weekend papers you get a supplement for the following weeks TV and quite a few times I see some films given 5 stars yet in the daily paper it may only give it 2 stars and vice versa.
    As you can see on this forum you would think most of us would be of a similar mind like Empire, yet look at the conflicting comments on The Matrix post, and TLOR.

8. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,062
    Shoka you're right insofar as we all have subjective views, but if you're a reviewer you're expected to be neutral AND educated in media to judge acting/script/effects etc. Unfortunately most reviewers never are and can't wait to 'make the review theirs' as it were. At least with Barry Norman he would admit his leanings to why he reviewed a film one way or another, print reviewers seldom do, thus misleading people.
    I think the biggest problem with Se7en was the 'lost' dialogue bits which were very annoying at the pictures due in large part to co-watchers asking each other what was said!
    I agree totally with Garrett on the snippet style of film psters labels etc., but then so many products do this don't they. Plus I seem to recall how some reviewers intentionally throw in a good line particularly for product placement associations, buggars.

9. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Whenever I have any doubts, I check out...

Rotten Tomatoes

In a glance, you can see how many positive reviews a movie got, as well as how many negative reviews. Personally, I find negative reviews to be a better indicator of the quality of a film. Too many critics out there heap praises onto any film just because it has 1 or 2 redeeming factors.

10. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    As much as I hate movie critics (especially Johnathon 'self-appointed national film expert' Ross, and my local paper, The Evening Sentinel's movie reviewer who knows nothing of film), I have to second Rotten Tomatoes.

11. Shoka

Shoka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +238
    That was my point, I very rarely read a review that I can believe, either the reveiwer is too opionated or not taking a neutral view, and thus we don't get a decent review of a film that if it had got a differant review, we wouldn't either be regreting buying or not buying.

Sorry to any reviewers out there

12. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,062
    Shoka, right you are then mate. But don't appologise to reviewers, they need kicking into touch, that's the point!

13. danielzavitz

danielzavitz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if you don't like the style of reviewers out there why don't you do something about it, i did.
    start doing your own reviews, i'm much more likely to believe a true home cinema fan than some idiot from the news of the world who just wants to get his name on the front of an EIV dvd.

14. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you're going to look a just a few movie reviews, find out just which reviewers like the same movies that you like. For the longest time, I've used Roger Ebert as a benchmark, because he seems to have a similar taste in movies that I do. Although lately, he and I have seemed to part on our definition of a good movie.

Find a reviewer, and go back through his/her archives. See how that critic reviewed some of your favorite movies, and some of your least favorite. Once you've got someone who thinks like you doing all the work (if you can call watching tons of movies every week work!), you can start to rely on their picks the same as if they were your own.

15. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    What always annoys/amazes me is the way reviewers are held in such high esteem, as if they do a really important job within the film industry.

What really really really infuriates me is when critics start offering opinions of films they have never even seen yet, or worse, films that haven't even been finished! (eg Titanic/Waterworld).

16. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i like empire but yopu do have to take its reviews with a huge pinch of salt.

It gave Pearl harbour 5 stars hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

17. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One of the best reviewers around (for me anyway as we have similar tastes) is friend and fellow AVS member Mike Mittleman who writes for www.dvdmg.com

Not only is he a great reviewer but its a great site for all things movies.

Eric

18. hobbes

hobbes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I usually have a quick glance over some of the reviews on the Internet Movie Database. With loads of opinions on most films it is usually a pretty fair score.

I agree with Lex about individual film critics, its mad how one persons opinion can be the 'be all and end all' on a film.

Shaun

19. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,629
    Who has changed their minds?!
    Do you really think both reviews were written by the same person ?
    The first person who reviewed it probably did and still does love it.
    The person who gave it 3 stars probably doesn't like it now and never has.
    You're making a mountain out of a mole hill.

20. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    STUPID QUESTION TIME

what does EIV stand for

21. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I have already answered that question Spectre. Reviews published in newspapers and magazines such as Empire are not meant to be the views of individuals, but the view of the magazine as a whole as set out by the editor. This is common practice in the publishing world to maintain consistency - If a magazine gives 5stars one week and then 1star the next week its reviews become meaningless as nobody can trust them.

22. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    EIV = Entertainment In Video

23. Ghoulies!

Ghoulies!

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with Lex.
    Spectre obviously doesn't know how these things work - magazines have to maintain a degree of consistency in order to be credible. The 'opinions' of publications are set by the owner/editor - thats why newspapers have political views. You don't get columnists for the Mail writing leftwing opinion. Publications have to maintain consistency!!

24. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,629
    This may be the case, but it's a bit tedious to pick up on a difference of opinion over several years. Could be a different editor.

25. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    It may be tedious, but it's their job!