Movie Releases Pushed Back Chat Due To Coronavirus(Covid19)

Status
Not open for further replies.
New York cinemas have a return date too -

If May 14th hopefully sticks, Id of thought the Warner titles already released in USA and a few other countries could be shown over month or so from re-opening (Godzilla v Kong, Mortal Kombat, Tom & Jerry, Judas Black Messiah & The Little Things)

It is positive news, let's be POSITIVE!

And realistically, the first few movies will be tasters. The Cinemas really need a big hit, like dare I say it, James Bond. Which is set for October. I'm not sure the public will be massively flocking to the cinemas in May, June, July personally.

If I'm a Disney shareholder (and I plan to be!), I launch Black Widow in cinemas and PVOD at the same time.

But let's hope Autumn is the start of bounce-back time for the picture-houses.

Not sure about you guys but I'll definitely be back to the theatres come July/August.

It is positive news, let's be POSITIVE!

And realistically, the first few movies will be tasters. The Cinemas really need a big hit, like dare I say it, James Bond. Which is set for October. I'm not sure the public will be massively flocking to the cinemas in May, June, July personally.

If I'm a Disney shareholder (and I plan to be!), I launch Black Widow in cinemas and PVOD at the same time.

But let's hope Autumn is the start of bounce-back time for the picture-houses.

No point of releasing Black Widow on VOD if they've already waited this long for the Cinema's to be open. They could just release it in the Cinema exclusively around July/August, probably make around $400 million WW then release PVOD.

Once it's PVOD the film will be flooded online globally.

No point of releasing Black Widow on VOD if they've already waited this long for the Cinema's to be open. They could just release it in the Cinema exclusively around July/August, probably make around $400 million WW then release PVOD.

Once it's PVOD the film will be flooded online globally.
They haven't delayed the release yet have they?
Was thinking May will be too early for them, no one will have a big hit this May...

Pushing Bond back as far as the Autumn could make for a cataclysmic mistake. If things start to go south again as winter approaches and we have to lockdown, that'll be Bond screwed once more. Perhaps for the final time, and they'd have to release for Xmas on VOD.

Pushing Bond back as far as the Autumn could make for a cataclysmic mistake. If things start to go south again as winter approaches and we have to lockdown, that'll be Bond screwed once more. Perhaps for the final time, and they'd have to release for Xmas on VOD.
Let's be positive though, things should be much better in October.
The worry is next January but I think we'll be getting booster vaccine shots by then.

Let's be positive though, things should be much better in October.
The worry is next January but I think we'll be getting booster vaccine shots by then.

Positive of course, but I still think pushing it back so far was an error. Why not the summer?

Plus not sure where you've pinpointed as late as January from, if any issues creep up with the virus it will very likely be before then. Probably not too far away from October in fact.

Positive of course, but I still think pushing it back so far was an error. Why not the summer?

Plus not sure where you've pinpointed as late as January from, if any issues creep up with the virus it will very likely be before then. Probably not too far away from October in fact.
This is all speculation on my part of course! EON have pushed Bond back twice or is it 3 times already? If they went for June release and then numbers looked a bit iffy Covid-wise, they would have no credibility with the public to say, "Oh yeah sorry guys, it's going to be November now." Any more delays and they will have to go for PVOD I think.

My assumption is that numbers will continue to get better between now and July but that still many millions of people will not be vaccinated by July (that may not be true actually). Who knows about Winter to be honest, it may be cold in December and we may all be invited to get booster jabs. Perhaps if there are new virus strains going about then, people won't put cinema attendance in their plans!

Either way, just like Spielberg with West Side Story, EON has considered October to be a safer bet for a big Cinema release. If I've had 2 vaccine jabs, I'll be there.

Fast 9 Now June 25 (was end of May, hopefully UK cinemas open by then)
Minions Rise of Gru - July 1 2022 (was July 2021)
Nomadland - Disney+/Star April 30

Chaos Walking - Daisy Ridley was on Graham Norton last night and at end of interview said it would be released on PVoD rental in UK from April 2nd and cinemas when they reopen

Chaos Walking - Daisy Ridley was on Graham Norton last night and at end of interview said it would be released on PVoD rental in UK from April 2nd and cinemas when they reopen
Certainly won't be paying for it, but I'll give it a go when it eventually lands on the likes of Netflix.

Tom and Jerry - PVOD from 28th March (i think this date was right only overheard as was mentioned on Ant & Dec last night , but had on in background)

Drax1 - Like you I wont be paying for it, will wait to see if ends up in cinemas or on streaming service (Lionsgate so prob amazon) at some point. Have Unlimited , when reopens, so £13-16 for 1 film rental is poor value.

Not sure about you guys but I'll definitely be back to the theatres come July/August.
Not me, i just dont trust other people with this virus lol.

Maybe if i get a vaccine before then i may consider

Not me, i just dont trust other people with this virus lol.

Maybe if i get a vaccine before then i may consider
Not more dangerous than going shopping tbh

Not more dangerous than going shopping tbh
First of all, I get my groceries delivered.

2nd of all, sitting down in a dark secluded environmental with other people for over 2h vs being inside a well ventilated shopping mall for 30mins walking around the shop makes a huge different on the changes of catching the virus.

They will open soon, then they may close again ...
All the same, everything will return to square one only when half of the globe is vaccinated. Until this moment, the pandemic will not finally go away, which means that there will be no return to life without prohibitions. And this will not be at all soon. Not at all like it was in the movie "Contagion" ... :(

I've not long pulled the trigger on a new £3.5k TV, not sure I'll have any spare change for the cinema this year. Our local one is a Cineworld and the last I heard, after the last lockdown, was that they were as good as gone no?

Having said all that, I'd really like to go see DUNE in an IMAX though...

Godzilla V Kong going PVoD rental on 1/4 (was looking forward to seeing this on the big screen, maybe this appearing once cinemas reopen)
Nobody - Now June 4th (was march)
Freaky - Now June 25 (was Nov then dec)

Venom 2 now pushed from June to 17th September.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom