• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Movie Quality - Transfer to HD

Musketeer

I assume that as most movies in the last 30/40 years have been shot in 35 or 70mm you would see a noticable increase in quality of if the original is transferred straight to HD as opposed to SD.

I suppose what I'm asking is can anyone confirm whether the quality of older movies would be much more apparent on HD than it would SD.

I'm also wondering whether studios/distributors are planning a mass release of classic movies on HD from the 60's/70's/80's/90's as I've held off collecting of movies in anticipation of this.

Cheers.

Nick_UK

Banned
Sky Movies 9 & 10 have already transmitted a few older movies in HD, and the difference is noticeable, since the equivalent resolution of 35mm and 70mm film is as high or higher than SkyHD. The only problem could be in the quality of the film stock (dirt, scratching), but this need not be a problem if a good quality print is used.

Mr.D

Distinguished Member
Nick_UK said:
since the equivalent resolution of 35mm and 70mm film is as high or higher than SkyHD. .

I'd dispute this. All other things being equal some of the earlier filmstocks didn't necessarily have as much resolution as more modern filmstocks. Whether they had more resolution than SD or HD is not so straight forward as determining it by the age of the film stock.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom