Movie playback stop/starting on WD TV device

mr. shr

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,
I've just bought a WD TV streamer.
When streaming movies from my NAS drive, I find that 1080p mkv files are forever stopping and starting during playback. I get the orange spinning arrow thing (i.e. loading or buffering) and it lasts a few seconds each time.

It was fine with a 720p mkv file. I managed to watch that from begining to end withoug a single hiccup. But 1080p files are unwatchable.

It's all connected via CAT5e cable.

Assuming this is a limitation on my network but can anyone tell me what checks/tests I need to do to verify this please?

Otherwise the WD TV will be going back.

Thanks,
shr.

Last edited:
mr. shr said:
Hi All,
I've just bought a WD TV streamer.
When streaming movies from my NAS drive, I find that 1080p mkv files are forever stopping and starting during playback. I get the orange spinning arrow thing (i.e. loading or buffering) and it lasts a few seconds each time.

It was fine with a 720p mkv file. I managed to watch that from begining to end withoug a single hiccup. But 1080p files are unwatchable.

It's all connected via CAT5e cable.

Assuming this is a limitation on my network but can anyone tell me what checks/tests I need to do to verify this please?

Otherwise the WD TV will be going back.

Thanks,
shr.

Is your router 100mbs or 1000mbs (gigabit)

My sky router is only 100 and was a huge bottle neck till I bypassed it with a gigabit switch

It's a Netgear router from $ky.

My setup uses two gigabit switches too. (As in, I have 2 x 1 gigabit switches in the configuration).

Basically, ADSL line into $ky router. One port from $ky router to a gigabit switch in office. NAS connects to office switch.
Another port from $ky router to gigabit switch in HC (or lounge as mrs. shr call it!!) WD TV conntects to switch in HC.
All CAT5e cable.

You think my router is the problem?

Yep

Bypass the sky box

I have my nas , PC , and cat 6 cable to my cinema room and upstairs bedroom all connected to a gigabit switch and one cable into the sky router for Internet I can transfer files around at 80MB if the sky router was in the chain that would drop to 8MB

The gigabit switch in your hc room is limited in speed by your sky router

I have a wdtv live in the bedroom and can stream 30gb mkv files no problems at all

Last edited:
Thanks for this. What you say makes perfect sense. It's all rigged up to my pj so I can't just flick it on to do the quick tests as you suggest (as don't like switching pj on unless it's going to be on for a couple of hours).

So I'll try to get on to this tomorrow.
Many thanks.

Rearranged the rig so streaming doesn't go 'through' the sky router and working a treat.
Thanks guys.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom