1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Movie Music

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Mole69, Oct 18, 2004.

1. Mole69

Mole69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was watching Shaun of the Dead the other night when something struck me I've been meaning to find out about for ages.
    How come that songs that appear in movies seem to be speeded up slightly, faster and higher in pitch? It's as if when they get tranferred onto a movie, the track gets literally speed up. The songs I heard in SOTD were Meltdown and Orpheus by Ash. It seems to be very common in movie soundtracks. Any ideas?

2. girliedrinker

girliedrinker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You are obviously watching PAL DVDs, which suffer from a 4% speed up. This is because the PAL TV system runs at 25 frames per second, but film is 24 fps. Therefore, when you watch a film on PAL TV or DVD (which is what we have in the UK), it's faster due to the extra frame included each second. NTSC doesn't suffer this problem (it gets around the problem due to running at almost 30 fps and some whizz bang trickery) and neither do the cinema releases because, well, they are film, running as they should. Some PAL films use pitch correction to combat the effects of speed up, but it still runs too fast, you just won't notice it much.

So, in essence, with films on UK TV and PAL DVD, it isn't just the music or soundtrack that's speeded up, it's all audio and picture too.

I've explained that REALLY badly, haven't I? Someone else have a go.

3. figrin_dan

figrin_dan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Also, some music is just sped up to suit the film. See the Saturday night fever scene in Airplane!

4. Mole69

Mole69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is it also true that most TV programmes are speeded up slightly to fit into time slots accuratley?

5. girliedrinker

girliedrinker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've never heard of this and I really hope it isn't true. I don't know how it would be possible without losing frames, and that would be noticable. Although I'm no expert, despite working in TV production.

However, I used to know someone who did some work for a radio station and they would speed up/slow down adverts to fit a particular time in seconds, then pitch correct afterwards. Then again, radio stations do all kinds of cack to "enhance" our listening experience.

6. figrin_dan

figrin_dan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    ITV used to just cut chunks out of films to fit time slots. Coincendently, again with Airplane! it was once shown in a 1 hour slot!

7. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    The closing scrolling credits on films are often sped up, sometimes at lightening speed to the point where it's unreadable, US style!
    Who can blame them, some go on for an eternity!

8. plasmoid

plasmoid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That would explain why commercial voices are sometimes even more annoying than seems humanly possible :)