• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Movie + Gaming headphones for up to £200

SteveAWOL

Distinguished Member
I'm looking to purchase a pair of headphones that will be used mostly for TV/movies (around 60% of the time) plus some gaming on my PS3/360 (30%) and a bit of music (perhaps 10%) late at night without disturbing the rest of the household.

However I know next to nowt about this sector so could do with some advice as to what would be a good pair of headphones (plus an amp :rolleyes:) or headset (I rarely use voice-chat when gaming tbh) that best meets these requirements...

I've currently got a pair of Sennheiser HD 62 TV cans which I wear occasionally for TV viewing (plugged into my Pioneer NS-DV99 which is connected to my Samsung V+ via optical audio cable) but I find them a tad uncomfortable on the lugs over long periods so I would prefer to get circumaural, open-backed headphones this time.

Dave M

Distinguished Member
I've been looking at headphones too and so far have narrowed it down to the Sennheiser HD 595's or Grado SR 80i's. I already have the Sennheisers and think they're great. But read somewhere that the Grado's are better. Don't know too much about the subject though. Hopefully we'll get some better advice on here.

SteveAWOL

Distinguished Member
I've been looking at headphones too and so far have narrowed it down to the Sennheiser HD 595's or Grado SR 80i's. I already have the Sennheisers and think they're great. But read somewhere that the Grado's are better. Don't know too much about the subject though. Hopefully we'll get some better advice on here.

I've read elsewhere that the Grado SR 80i headphones are great for music but not so good for movies or gaming.

The Sennheiser PC 360 headset (combined with the Astro MixAmp) is a popular choice in the Xbox 360 sub-forum and apparently provides similar sound quality to the HD595. Although I see that Sennheiser have released a newer HD 598 model plus the latest PC models come with "7.1 Virtual Surround Sound" but I'm not sure whether that is just a marketing gimmick :rolleyes:

The Fischer Audio FA-011, Beyerdynamic DT880 and Audio Technica AD700 also caught my eye... Hopefully someone knowledgeable will help us separate the wheat from the chaff!

Last edited:

Member 266567

Also check out the SoundMAGIC HP100 or HP200. These have just recently been released by SoundMAGIC (there were initial delays with production at the end of last year).

Both the HP100 and HP200 have wide soundstage and good positional accuracy, with one being open back and the other being closed back designs.

Dave M

Distinguished Member
Got a pair of the Grado sr80i's on Friday and returned them today. Very disappointed in them. They don't come anywhere near the Sennhiesers.

Drubbing

7.1 is a gimmick for gamers who are susceptible to marketing technobabble.

A great gaming, general use phone is the Audio Technica AD700. Not bassy, but big on positional sound and clarity. The 880 is more plush IMO, but you will need to find the 32 ohm version, which doesn't need a dedicated amp.

If you want something with a bit of bass and closed, the AT M50 is worth a look.

Drubbing

Not only that, most contain only 4-5 drivers, but claim 5 or 7.1, through techno jiggery pokery and high price tags. Good open phones provide as good, or better, more natural sounding a 3D effect without that. A common misunderstanding is that stereo phones only do left or right.

SteveAWOL

Distinguished Member
FWIW: I demoed a few headphones at a local indy hi-fi store and found the Grado SR80i cans were very punchy and great for music but not particularly suited to movies, the AD700 cans were good all rounders but in the end I decided to splash out on the HD598 headphones as they had a relaxed, natural sound and felt the most comfortable which is a priority for long movies / gaming sessions.

After a few weeks of running them in I am still very happy with my purchase and they have certainly proved to be a massive step up in quality and comfort over the HD62s :thumbsup:

SteveAWOL

Distinguished Member
I did demo the 558 headphones and though the bass was slightly punchier I decided it was worth paying £35 extra for the superior comfort and vocal clarity of the 598 cans but I can understand why some people prefer the 558s.

Deco Audio: Headphones

pformagg

Standard Member
I use my AKG K272 Mkii for watching movies and gaming when I need to be quite. They are closed back, so bleeding is not there and the auto mute when you take them off. Also super comfy, and they have velvet ear pads too. Check them out. Btw, if you use it for mainly gaming, thought about the 5.1 headphones?

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom