1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Movie fan sues MGM over amount of picture on DVDs

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by graham.myers, Dec 18, 2002.

1. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A movie buff is suing Hollywood giant MGM and several retailers saying many "wide-screen" DVDs, advertised as showing the film as seen in cinemas, actually show less than already cropped standard versions.

The lawsuit was filed in Los Angeles Superior Court.

Studios increasingly offer two versions of films on DVDs - a standard format cropped to fit a typical TV screen and a wide-screen, or "letterbox" version, showing the full image as seen on a large movie screen.

The letterbox version is wider left to right and has black bars above and below the image.

But Warren Eallonardo, 28, of Los Angeles, claims that several MGM movies he recently bought, including Rain Man and Hoosiers, falsely advertise wide-screen versions of the films.

"In actuality, the DVDs provide a standard format with the top and bottom of the picture cut off," said his lawyer, Clifford Pearson. "He felt like he is being ripped off."

source: ananova

2. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I own Rain Man R1 and it has fullscreen one side, widescreen on the other. Can't say the widescreen looked the same width as the fullscreen but zoomed up with top and bottom cut off. What is he going on about? :rolleyes:

I think someone should take MGM to court for using player-generated captions and subtitles on all their R2 and R4 DVDs :mad: :mad:

3. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    is he talking about stuff shot in Super35 like T2, which is shot in a square ratio with a rectangular frame guide for the director and then cropped using open mattes for theatrical release?
    Either way he's barking... if you watched Super35 stuff without the mattes you'd see boom mikes and all sorts in the frame.

4. swarrans

swarrans
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Err, I hope I'm not barking mad too, but I have actually come across one instance of what this guy is talking about!
    The R1 version of Pride & Prejudice is shown on the box as "First Ever Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35:1" but is actually a 4:3 image with the top and bottom cropped off to make it 1.85:1

However, I didn't consider taking A&E/BBC/NewVideo to court, I was just mildly disappointed and got on with life!!

Simon

5. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes Pride & Prejudice was filmed and broadcast in 4:3 though. BBC decided to zoom it up for widescreen.

6. swarrans

swarrans
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    interesting choice of words they decided to use on the box though wasn't it?! (and it wasn't zoomed to 2.35:1 either - thank God) (the "other" God, not Squirrel!)

Simon

7. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree mate. Not something I'd buy, but I know what you mean. If the Beeb did that with something like Fawlty Towers or Red Dwarf, I'd be spitting blood!

8. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,542
    yep, Back to the future II, DVD is a smaller picture, ie top & bottom cut off, compared to the VHS release.

9. bishman

bishman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    If you are talking about the 4:3 VHS release, then that wasn't the image seen at the cinema. The width was the same but the 4:3 issue has extra picture top and bottom over the cinema release. Much as someone mentioned before about T2.

Unless you are saying that the widescreen DVD release has less width than the widescreen vhs release, in which case I will shut up.

10. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, it's important to realise that widescreen movies and programmes are often filmed in 4:3 and then matted. Sometimes the version put out on 4:3 is the unmatted version, which would not correspond to the actual cinema version.

11. Annatar

Annatar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Only In America;)

12. Sandman

Sandman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +661
    Films such as T2 and Titanic and other James cameron films which are shot on super35 were done so that there could be two releases of the film. The widesdcreen image which was just the 4:3 image with the top and bottom cropped was for cinema while the 4:3 version was for tv and video release. Of course after a while the widescreen version gets released on dvd and this is the same as the film shown in the cinema. James cameron took some stick after a comment he made saying he prefered the 4:3 version of titanic because that was what he saw when shooting the film.

13. DaveH

DaveH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    If you take most 1:85:1 ratio films you will often find that the 4:3 picture offers more at the top and bottom due to no borders, but it is still the picture you saw at the cinema.

If you take in any 2:35:1 image there is always more picture at the sides. Top and bottom is the same picture visible as a 4:3.

I noticed the 1:85:1 problem when widescreen first started I went mad at first...