Movie channels PIN code

gers1978

Prominent Member
Reaction score
My Sky HD box keeps asking me for my PIN code if I try to view a movie that;s already started.

How can I turn this off?

Cheers

EDIT - Go into Services, then Parental control, then "other restrictions" and then turn off "Pre-watershed pin restriction".

Can't turn it off. It's due to Ofcom regulations, eg, they show 18 rated films in the day, they have to be pin protected.

It's a crap situation.

What's the point in being able to turn it off in the menu if it has absolutely no effect?

:mad:

Overkill in my opinion as I've said before. (Nanny state).

EDIT - Go into Services, then Parental control, then "other restrictions" and then turn off "Pre-watershed pin restriction".
Thanks for this Griff, this was annoying the hell out of me, but I figured it was just a perminant thing that couldn't be removed.

It's a crap situation.

What's the point in being able to turn it off in the menu if it has absolutely no effect?

:mad:

Overkill in my opinion as I've said before. (Nanny state).

If it wasn't there, then Sky wouldn't be able to show 15's and 18's during the day!

Thanks for this Griff, this was annoying the hell out of me, but I figured it was just a perminant thing that couldn't be removed.

It is.

Selecting that option has made no difference on either of my two boxes so far.

I think it was included in the hope that it would appease OFCOM, which it should have done.

Unfortunately they thought otherwise.

If it wasn't there, then Sky wouldn't be able to show 15's and 18's during the day!

I disagree.

I support the PIN aspect and the whole stance for people with families.

They should have the choice to restrict their children's viewing if they wish.

As an adult single male though, I should be able to watch what I want without entering a PIN (as long as the option is there for me to switch it on should my circumstances change).

That should have been enough for OFCOM.

I think the menu option is an old legacy item for the time before the decided to broadcast 15 & 18 certificates before 9pm.

I must admit I simply checked the menu and assumed it would do as it said.

And there was me trying to be helpful lol

The problem for me is "one PIN fits all" - I'd like to give my 18 year old the PIN so he can watch movies anytime, however by giving him that PIN, he'd also be able to book box office, go online, etc.

One-PIN-fits-all is NOT an acceptable way of controlling anything IMO.

As Griff said, but you can of course change this to a pin of your choice should you need to :lesson:

Actually the last 4 numbers of the very first viewing card you got.

My very first viewing card was back in 1999 and I can confirm the last four digits of that didn't get me very far ;)

I think the menu option is an old legacy item for the time before the decided to broadcast 15 & 18 certificates before 9pm.

I think this option in the menu does have a does - whether or not you have to enter a PIN to view recorded programs from your planner before the watershed. It just doesn't affect live viewing :mad:

Go to "services" scroll down to 3 (parental control) enter your PIN then you can change it
If however you don't know your PIN & don't want to phone Sky to get them to change it then if you register on for My Sky on www.sky.com then you can change your PIN on the web.

If you actually read the menu item in services it is
'turn off pin on pre-watershed PLAYBACK'

That's PLAYBACK not viewing.

You can't tunr off the pin for pre-watershed live veiwing because of ofcom regulations. But if you leave that restriction set to on it will ask for a pin if you try to playback a post watershed recorded program before the watershed. set it to off and it won't.

What this does mean is that if you set it to off you can get rid of the pin request if you start recording the program and then play it from your planner rather than watching live. It's daft I know but but ofcom regs wont let sky disbale it for live viewing.

Must admit I find this quite annoying, esp with the 'one PIN fits all'. No-one in our house under 17, that means I need to give 17 year old daughter the PIN to watch 15 rated films before 9pm (or whatever) but with which she could go online, order all manner of pay per view and, presumably, adult channels where films are pay per view. Brilliant solution Sky, just brilliant!!!! Appease Ofcom and screw up customer satisfaction.

Fortunately I shall be in a position where I no longer am able to get Sky for a couple of years or so (overseas) so they can whistle for £50 pm!!

What this does mean is that if you set it to off you can get rid of the pin request if you start recording the program and then play it from your planner rather than watching live. It's daft I know but but ofcom regs wont let sky disbale it for live viewing.

Probably quicker to enter the PIN then:D

For Gods sake it is only four digits and takes about two seconds.
Just hit the buttons and relax.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom