1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moved up from a Panny E55 to an E85

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Jerrysimon, Sep 11, 2004.

1. Jerrysimon

Jerrysimon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Well having owned a Panny E55 purchased from Richard Sounds a week ago and an LG 4120 to do editing on a PC, I decided to take the E55 back to RS and upgrade it to the HDD E85. The E55 was my first DVD recorder upgrading from a VCR.

I am really impressed with RS service in that they allow you to do this within 12 days :smashin:

The E55 is a terrific model and the current price drops make it a great bargain. The reason I decided to change it was that I pretty quickly realised the benefit of an internal HDD. I already missed a recorded film when I did not realise that my DVD RAM disk already had an hour of recording on it.

Also the E85 has just come into RS at £434 still selling in Currys for £599 :eek:

This is the time to buy and having gone round the houses I can see why so many people here recomend HDD models.

Yes it has cost me twice my budget :rolleyes: but I figure by the time I purchased enough RAM disks to record on there would not be much in it. We usually have about 20+ video tapes on the go at once with all our recorded programs.

I think I am going to have quite a few question to ask here in the next week or so :rolleyes:

Regards

Jerry

2. Jerrysimon

Jerrysimon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Couple more questions

1. I am transfering some valuable VHS videos to DVD and wondered when I copy them do I use SP or XP as the signal presumably will not ne that good anyway ?

2. I have AV1 connected to the Tele and AV2 connected to my freeview box. Do I set either of these to RGB ?

Regards

Jerry

3. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,203
    Use Flexible Record to match the bitrate to the length of the video! However you should use a HIGH bitrate - although VHS is a low resolution source it is also a noisy analogue one - this means to capture all the detail you need to use a high bitrate. In real terms this translates to around 90mins per DVDR - you can do more (and may have to depending on the length of the programmes) but try not to.

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,203
    Yes - ensure your Freeview box is outputting RGB and then goto Functions/Setup/Connections to set AV1 and AV2 to 'RGB'.

5. Jerrysimon

Jerrysimon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Rasczak,

Thanks as always for your prompt reply. You provide an excellent service here ;)

I meant do I use XP when I copy the VHS tape to the hard drive as I want to do a bit of tidying up of it, before I then dub it back to a DVD-r. The tape is quite old 1979 so is already a bit blury. It's a concert so obvioulsy I want to preserve the best possible sound even though it is mono ?

Could you tell me why you need to change to RGB as appose to video ? I sort of tried it but got a black screen perhaps I have to also set my freeview box to output RGB ? Also do I have to set my TV to input RGB ?

Ok I know I am a complete novice :lease:

Regards

Jerry

6. jem

jem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    RGB stands for red, green, blue and gives a far superior quality picture over composite video both for recording and viewing. You will have to set your Freeview box to output RGB but you don't have to do anything with your TV other than use the RGB enabled scart which is usually AV1.

However just one thing to note if you are transferring from VHS videos. The majority of VCRs do not output RGB and you may have to change AV2 back to video temporarily - how have you connected the VCR to the E85?

7. Jerrysimon

Jerrysimon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Jem,

I only connect the VCR by scart to AV2 on the DVD recorder when I want to record (unplugging the freeview box). The VCR usually gets connected directly to the TV on a seperate scart but the DVD will be replacing the VCR very soon :clap:

So when I connect the VCR to AV2 on the Panny 85 I should set the input on AV2 to video.

Regards

Jerry

8. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,203
    Yes - set your Freeview box to RGB before the DVD recorder or you'll get a black screen. The whole process is:

1) Ensure the TV Out (not the VCR Out!!!) of the Freeview box is connected via scart to AV2 on the Panasonic.
    2) Ensure AV1 of the Panasonic is connected to the RGB socket on your TV.
    3) In your Freeview settings ensure you select 'RGB'
    4) On the DVD recorder goto Functions - Setup - Connection - 'AV1/AV2 Connection' and select AV2 input as 'RGB' and AV1 output as 'RGB'. Ensure connection type is set to 'Normal' (that's all off the top of my head so it may not be word perfect).

When you want to copy VHS to your DVD recorder either hook up via Scart to composite connections via AV4 on the Recorder or unplug Freeview and connect to AV2 remembering to change back to composite/video in the Connections menu.

9. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,203
    You should still use Flexible Record. On the HDD the E85 uses Flexible Record just as if you were recording onto a DVD-RAM, i.e. it will fill 4.7GB worth of space on the HDD for the time you dial in. Clearly then provided you don't want to edit dramatic amounts then this method is preferrable as you do not have to re-encode (ensure you set DVD compatible mode - refer to your manual for advice on that).

If you do wish to do large edits then consider the benefits of recording the title in several stages using a suitable Flexible Record setting for each:

e.g. You have a one hour recording (for which you want to edit out 20mins) and another fifty minute recording (for which you want to edit out 15mins). The end disk will have a running time of (60-20)+(50-15) = 75 mins. Thus use a Flexible Record of 75 mins for each recording.

Obviously there are hundreds of different examples: this just uses figures plucked from the air.

10. Jerrysimon

Jerrysimon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Wow I never realised my picture could look THIS good :clap:

I am very greatful for all this excellent advice :hiya:

I have had my freeview box for over a year and all this time it has been connected to the TV without RGB set :blush:

You can really see the difference with the picture. Also I note now it just allows me to select 16:9 or zoom on the tele no 4:3. I have a Panasonic
    TX-W32R4DP.

Re recording from VHS let me explain. I have a concert which is in two 40 min parts with news between each part. I could record it again so that the total time would be 80mins pausing the DVD and winding forward through the news. I then want to create chapters to divide it up into songs. I thought then I would burn it back to a DVD RAM and take it to the computer to add titles and a menu with all the songs listed finally burning it to DVD-r.

So I set flexible record to 80mins perhaps 85 for good measure, edit it to add chapters for each song and then flexible record again to 80-85min to dub it back to DVD RAM. I guess I could do it all straight to DVD RAM :confused:

Also I need to read the manual re what you are saying about DVD compatible mode.

Regards

Jerry

11. Jerrysimon

Jerrysimon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Hi again. Will this machine view JPEGs ?

I don't think it does :confused:

Regards

Jerry

12. Jerrysimon

Jerrysimon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Scub that I took the E85 back :hiya:

No prizes for guessing what I have ended up with :rolleyes:

Regards