Moved Me Telly From The Corner Of The Room

DeepDiver

Established Member
Reaction score
Well, Way back at the begining of this year, me & the missus decide the house was overdue an update. It was mainly the living room that needed sorting to accommodate the new 65in TV. But we also needed to do the Kitchen/Diner, Hall, Stairs & landing.
We started end of June doing weekends only and now been finished a couple of weeks now.

Before
Before 1.JPG

Before 2.JPG

Before 3.JPG

Strip Down & gas pipe capped

Strip Down 1.JPG

Strip Down 2.JPG

Strip Down 3.JPG

We decided to build a false Chimney Breast for the TV & Inset Electric Fire

Build 1.JPG

Build 2.JPG

Build 3.JPG

Build 4.JPG

Last edited:
Build 5.JPG

Build 6.JPG

Build 7.JPG

Next was the Electrics

Electrics 1.JPG

Electrics 2.JPG

Electrics 3.JPG

Electrics 4.JPG

Electrics 5.JPG

Electrics 6.JPG

Had to think about how to replace faulty cables (HDMI-Ethernet-Coax) if needed. Decided to use plastic pipe and leave a pull string inside.

Cable Feed 1.JPG

Last edited:
Cable Feed 2.JPG

Cable Feed 3.JPG
Cable Feed 4.JPG

Time for the plasterboard

Plasterboard 1.JPG

Plasterboard 2.JPG

Plasterboard 3.JPG

Now than. Plastering is an art in my books, so I hired an expert.

Plaster Done 1.JPG

Plaster Done 2.JPG

In this photo you can see I will fit an access hatch

Plaster Done 3.JPG

Next came the painting & decorating.
The Dark Colour is Dulux Denim Drift & the Light Colour is Dulux Goose Down.
We followed the paint colours/theme through to the Kitchen/Diner, Hall, Stairs & Landing.

P&D 1.JPG

Last edited:
P&D 2.JPG

P&D 3.JPG

P&D 4.JPG

P&D 5.JPG

Finishing Touches with new carpet, seating, curtains, lamps & shades.

Finish 1.JPG

Finish 2.JPG

Finish 3.JPG

My AV Equipment inside the RHS IKEA Besta Unit

Ikea 1.JPG

Ikea 2.JPG

Here I have my Gig Network Switch and all the awkward plugs into an extension lead.

Ikea 3.JPG

Last edited:
The Ikea units are the Besta Range with the LAXVIKEN Door & concrete effect, light grey top panel.
The lamp is philips hue & uplighter works with KASA socket. All controlled via ALEXA & Harmony Ultimate & Hub.

Last edited:
Looking very good. As a mod I just loved the way you reserved your spaces for photographs.:thumbsup:

Photograph heaven, love it...well done matey:thumbsup:

It is so much better than before and good to see "Wheeler Dealers" on!

Just one thing, the Centre speaker: it's down by your ankles! Any problems with dialogue not being locked to the screen due to its placement?

It is so much better than before and good to see "Wheeler Dealers" on!

Just one thing, the Centre speaker: it's down by your ankles! Any problems with dialogue not being locked to the screen due to its placement?
Actually no. We don't hear any displacement between the speaker & TV. We just thought it looked better there, rather than between TV & Fire.
PS. Can't stop watching repeats of Wheeler Dealers.

Loving the build pics and your pipe setup for pulling cables. Hats off to you. It’s this bit of work now that can save so much hassle later on down the line. And thanks for uploading pics in full so I don’t have to click on a damn thumbnail 👍

looks fantastic love to do this myself can you estimate cost of doing it not including the besta units cheers

Nice job, well done.
Where was the fire from and what model ?
"This is not just an electric fire, this is THE electric fire" (Sound Familiar? M&S :laugh:)
It's a gazco skope 105r electric fire & comes in various lengths. Plugs straight into a socket. Comes with programmable remote & different fuel beds. You can have just the flame effect on without heat if you wish. I bought it from West Country Fires way back at easter. Could of bought local but not at the price I paid.

looks fantastic love to do this myself can you estimate cost of doing it not including the besta units cheers
Can't give you an exact price, but it was approx £100 - £120 to build just the chimney breast. Bought Timber & Plasterboard from wickes. The electrics were from Screwfix. Paid extra for the plastering. & gas to be capped. otherwise did everything else myself.

"This is not just an electric fire, this is THE electric fire" (Sound Familiar? M&S :laugh:)
It's a gazco skope 105r electric fire & comes in various lengths. Plugs straight into a socket. Comes with programmable remote & different fuel beds. You can have just the flame effect on without heat if you wish. I bought it from West Country Fires way back at easter. Could of bought local but not at the price I paid.
Oooo. That's a bit more expensive than I thought. Looks much nicer than what we have now though!

The fire looks cool, I am looking to carry out a similar build in a room that does get quite cold. I have a rad but am considering a secondary heat source. I was inclined to install underfloor electric heating but I am then limited to laminate/tiled floor that am not to keen on. there is electric underfloor available for carpet but it get complicated with having to work out carpet tog ratings etc.

How good/efficient is the heater at getting the room to be comfortable? as its electric I am mindful it wont be cheap to run, but am prepared for that!

How good/efficient is the heater at getting the room to be comfortable? as its electric I am mindful it wont be cheap to run, but am prepared for that!

It's a 2KW heater so compared to a lot of inset open flame gas fire seem to be the same. Guess its price depends on what you pay for gas/electric.

The fire is very feature rich. Comes with programmable remote. It comes with 2 different fuel beds. You can adjust flame colour/speed/height. Program wise it has loads of different timers and thermostatically controlled so you can set the temperature for what you want. It also open window detection.

Go to the bottom of the page in this link gazco skope 105r electric fire to the technical information tab and you can download the user/installation manual.

Looks great :smashin:

Given the reflection in one of his images, where he appears to be in nothing but his undercrackers, I'd say very! :rotfl:

Looking good... the room obviously. Much better and more modern, great work.

Given the reflection in one of his images, where he appears to be in nothing but his undercrackers, I'd say very! :rotfl:

Haha very funny🤣 Actually wearing work shorts as it was done in the summer.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom