Moved in to new property, what do I need to do with this cable?

tvlondon44

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I recently moved into a new place and I think the previous owner had Virgin installed. I have removed the box and found the the below connector and telecoms unit:
20210915_214644.jpg

I have a cable (see below) which is "male" on both ends which I can plug into the back of my tv and it picks up "some" channels but this isn't plugged into anything at the other end, where do I need to plug this into?. I am not interested in getting Virgin or Sky etc and there is an aerial outside but have Virgin replaced the tv aerial with the cable? Do I need to get an extender and plug it into my cable port on the tv or do I use the aerial socket? Do I need some kind of device to convert the cable connection to an aerial so I can plug it in my tv? Or should I get a freeview box?

Any advice is welcome.

Thanks in advance

20210915_215236.jpg

The box in your hand is a voltage isolator, the two cables coming out of the wall are presumably Cable TV, and a standard TV aerial, but you don't show what is on the end of it?

Hi, thank you for your reply. Here are 2 pics of the other cable. I think it was for a phone line?! (which I don't need anymore)

20210915_222146.jpg
20210915_222126.jpg

Yes it was. The male cable in your hand, where is that coming from? The back of your TV? If so it's just an RF fly cable. If you have a normal TV aerial outside, the cable should be coming in somewhere and that plugs directly into the back of your TV.

Yes it was. The male cable in your hand, where is that coming from? The back of your TV? If so it's just an RF fly cable. If you have a normal TV aerial outside, the cable should be coming in somewhere and that plugs directly into the back of your TV.
The male cable is just a cable (from what you said a RF Fly male and male cable)...it doesn't go anywhere. But when I plug one end of it into the TV I get some channels.

There isn't another cable coming in somewhere in this room, perhaps virgin just removed the aerial cable and replaced it with the satellite cable instead?

20210915_223523.jpg

Ok, if you don't want to be messing, perhaps look for a quality indoor aerial, that will be plug and play.
If not unfortunately it looks like you will need to call an installer and either run a new cable, or fit a new outdoor aerial.

I think it's unlikely that Virgin would remove your terrestrial aerial cable. Are you able to see where the cable from your aerial goes ? It may run externally down the walls outside or into the loft at roof level.

As has been indicated the 2 cables coming through the wall are the Virgin coax that carries TV and Broadband, and the separate Virgin phone cable. These should in turn connect to an external wall box where they are connected to the incoming cables from the street. So the previous occupant has just terminated his contract and all the VM cabling appears to be still in place. Nothing has been removed.
Virgin will definitely not have removed any existing TV aerial or its cabling.
I cannot reading the above posts establish that firstly a TV aerial exists in this property?
Is there one visible on the roof or in the loft?

Hi thanks for reply. The aerial is on the roof, all that appears to be missing is the aerial cable into the living room. There is an aerial cable in a bedroom and kitchen.

Hi thanks for reply. The aerial is on the roof, all that appears to be missing is the aerial cable into the living room. There is an aerial cable in a bedroom and kitchen.
It's possible that the previous owner might have removed the aerial connection/cable in the lounge once they'd moved over to Virgin, I guess. Very short-sighted of them and annoying, though !

Have you connected a TV to the other aerial outlets to confirm that the aerial is working and that you can receive all the Freeview channels you'd expect ?

If there aren't coax cables running on the external walls, I would head into the loft and check for a distribution amp or splitter/booster of some kind. You may also find evidence of the lounge coax connection, too.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom