Question Move SuperHub3 Down stairs ??

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by nyck, Dec 2, 2017.

Tags:
  1. nyck

nyck
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just upgraded to the virgin SH3 and V6 Tivo ,previously SH + tivo
    At present the the main cable is in my living room and splits for the Tivo and a coax going up stairs to the SH now SH3

They recommend the new V6 Tivo should have a direct connection to the SH3 which is a issue as the moment as one is upstairs and the other is down in the living room .
    So im thinking of leaving the SH3 downstairs and using the existing coax that goes upstairs as draw wire to run a cat5 back up to my existing network switch.
    My only problem is that i really wanted all my the modems/switches/cables etc going back to one central point ,so if i have any internet issues i can look at one point or power cycle everything in one go

cant decide

2. mickevh

mickevh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,738
    If your SH is also functioning as a Wi-Fi Access Point, moving it will affect Wi-Fi coverage, which could be positive or negative - you won't know until you try it. If a move has detrimental effects, you could always use you old SH as an additional Wi-Fi Access Point if need be.

3. nyck

nyck
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im doing a total upgrade ,i've bought 2x TP Link EAP225 for my wireless so the SH will only be Modem/router only

4. ChuckMountain

ChuckMountain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,278
    Reading the reason why it needs a connection is because the v6 doesn't have a cable modem built in any more so it can't access the Internet independently of your Super Hub. So you wouldn't be able to download on demand content.

So its more a choice of do you want Wireless or Wired connectivity and take your pick.

Did you install yourself? If not then I would have thought the VM person would have sorted this for you.