Question Move letterbox borders to the top?

Doug Pyper

Editorial Contributor
Reaction score
I've often idly wondered this but never found out the answer: is there a way to move the bottom border on scope or other content to the top, so both borders are at the top? Can, for example, video processors do this?

My reason for asking now is my projector is at the limits of its vertical lens shift, and the bottom of scope (but not 16:9) content is still a higher than I'd like it to be. I could lower the projector with a different mount (mine is a flush ceiling mount), but if possible I'd prefer to avoid that. I suspect I can't though...

Kodi (media player) can do this (at least on Fire TV 4K Stick where I use it). I'm not sure if there is a global setting for this but during playback several functions are available including zoom and vertical shift. These settings are reset to defaults when a new video is started though.

Kodi (media player) can do this (at least on Fire TV 4K Stick where I use it). I'm not sure if there is a global setting for this but during playback several functions are available including zoom and vertical shift. These settings are reset to defaults when a new video is started though.
Oooo, that's exciting. I hadn't realised Kodi could do that. As it happens, it's actually Kodi I want to be able to do this with, as that's what I use for all my media playback at the moment. I'll have a play with it now to try out...

If you need to do it for all sources the Lumagen can also do this. I used to do it, and it massively reduces the visual impact of black bars on scope content (plus it makes it easy to mask - all you need is a black roller blind at the top of the screen.)

If you need to do it for all sources the Lumagen can also do this. I used to do it, and it massively reduces the visual impact of black bars on scope content (plus it makes it easy to mask - all you need is a black roller blind at the top of the screen.)

I was thinking Lumagen might. For now the Kodi solution is working brilliantly, as I mainly want to do this for my film collection. But longer term it'd be great to have the option of doing this for streamed content too.

I've never really been as into the video side as I am the audio side, but I'm starting to flirt with the idea of getting a Lumagen. It would be big investment though, so it'd be a way off - I need to fill the coffers back up first, after my recent spending spree!

I was thinking Lumagen might. For now the Kodi solution is working brilliantly, as I mainly want to do this for my film collection. But longer term it'd be great to have the option of doing this for streamed content too.

I've never really been as into the video side as I am the audio side, but I'm starting to flirt with the idea of getting a Lumagen. It would be big investment though, so it'd be a way off - I need to fill the coffers back up first, after my recent spending spree!
Tell me about it!
They're great bits of kit. I got a good deal on a used unit through a friend who knew of one coming up for sale so it wasn't quite as reassuringly expensive :), but definitely worth having a word with @Gordon @ Convergent AV as I know he often has deals on ex-dem and refurbs (and of course new units too).

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom