move from sky+??

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by zico martin, Jan 3, 2007.

1. zico martin

zico martin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Well Ive been a customer of Sky+ for over a year now and to be honest I could not live without it. Well I couldnt live without the pause, rewind of live programs and recording onto the Hard Drive. I am paying £35 a month and am chuffed.

That was until I saw my brother in law's telewest TVDrive and was well impressed. 3 inputs ( as opposed to sky's 2), HD output as standard ( as opposed to paying a couple of hundred quid for a new box), the box is leased and hence will be repaired if breaks down (sky box is yours after a year, £65 to fix ) and the teleport TV facility ( loads of stuff/ series stored centrally which you can view free or for a small charge).

So I am thinking of getting an NTL TVdrive box now which I have been told will be £19.99 for the family pack. Should I make the move? I know NTL havent got the teleport TV think as such but is the 'on demand' as good?

Will I be able to use a magic eye to operate NTL in the bedroom as well as downstairs like I do currently with sky?

Will I be able to use a magic eye to operate NTL in the bedroom as well as downstairs like I do currebntly with sky?

what HD content is available?

sorry for all these questions but Im not one to rush into these things (provisionally booked for the engineer to come round on the 31st though!)

:)

oh yeah one last thing, Ive currently got 2mb broadband, line rental and Talk Anytime with NTL which is costing me £45, can I get a good deal with them for everything?

2. gstewart

gstewart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    As far as I know, you'll have to pay 18.50 p/m for the family pack (unless you're getting an introductory offer), £10 p/m for the rental of the TV Drive, and £75 for installation. At full price, that comes to £28.50 p/m. If you're happy enough to swap for more or less the same eventual price (after deals have expired), then go for it. I wouldn't hold your breath for a better deal for having the multiple services, but there's no harm in trying.

Just have a read in the other threads about frame skipping ... and be prepared to put up with that for the foreseeable future.

3. zico martin

zico martin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Im gonna phone NTL tonight to confirm that it will only cost be £19.99 a month for the box and the family pack , thats like a £15 saving with a few extras like HD and 'on demand'. Obviously if that is only for a short period though theres no point changing.

Saying that I dont like the look of NTL digital TV and it seems to respond so bloody slowly. Perhaps Sky may offer me an incentive to stay?

4. mikeeastgate

mikeeastgate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Nico,

The TV switching depends on which Set top box. Newer ones from Samsung are faster.

Also the magic eye option depends on which STB you have. One of them (Pace I think) uses a non-standard IR signalling and requires a different magic eye repeater.

Pricing for packages is very clear on NTL's web site, and there is indeed discount for triple services (and also for four services if you take a virgin mobile as well).

hope that helps.
    ME

5. Reepicheep

Reepicheep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    I moved from normal Sky to the V+ and didn't have to pay the installation charge, even though I already had broadband and telephone with NTL.