1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Move from DSP-A2 to DSP-AX750?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by gdunbar, May 14, 2005.

1. gdunbar

gdunbar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,

I was thinking about buying a new amp for 6.1 sound, and have read positive reviews about the Yamaha DSP-AX750. I currently have a Yamaha DSP-A2 which is a cracking amp - would it be a worthwhile move onto the AX750 for 6.1 sound?

My speaker setup consists of KEF Q35 fronts, KEF 95c centre and Monitor Audio Bronze BFX rears - no sub yet.

Thanks

Gavin

2. MikeFish

MikeFish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had a Yamaha DSP A3090 which was the predecessor to the A1 (cost me £1800). I was dubious about swapping it for a Pioneer AX-5ai (£950). I was worried that the Pioneer wouldn't be a match for the old Yammy.
    Boy, was I wrong! The Pioneer just blows the Yamaha out of the water.
    I don't really know anything about the 750 but I'm guessing it will outperform the now dated A2.
    Personally I'm more than happy with 5.1, don't see much of a benefit with 6.1.
    Effects speakers in the floor & in the ceiling: now that would be worth doing!

3. ninc0

ninc0
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Gavin,

I had an A1 up till a few months ago, it started giving me trouble so I decided to upgrade.

I wanted to stick with Yamaha because I love the type of sound they provide.

I went for the yam 2500 reciever. It is more than a match for my old A1 and for a fraction of the price. Also provides more decoding options and 7.1 too.

Hope this helps.... :thumbsup:

4. gdunbar

gdunbar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi

Thanks for the replies. Going to head out this afternoon to pickup some new cabling for my speakers, so will have a listen to a few different amps while in the shop.

Cheers

Gavin

5. gdunbar

gdunbar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,

Went down to pickup my speaker cable yesterday ended up coming out with a Marantz SR5500 instead of the Yamaha AX750. Chose the Marantz in the end as it seemed to sound a little nicer than the Yamaha when playing music, other than that they seemed very similar.

Out of the box it sounds much better than my DSP-A2, and I have not been through and actually set it up properly yet. Looks like my afternoon is sorted then!

Cheers

Gavin

6. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    I'm glad you're enjoying it Gavin, any probs setting it up give me a call at the shop.

Chris.