Question Move from AVR to Stereo amp + Speaker upgrade, how will movies sound?

ryms

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I live an apartment (living room about 41 sqm²) and pretty much use my sound system to watch movies or listen to music 50/50. Right now I have a Denon 1910 with 2x Monitor Audio Bronze BR2 and a KEF tdm 45b sub and I have been looking to upgrade for some time now. As I will most likely never move to more than 2.1 and I do not use any of the HDMI outputs of the AVR I was thinking to move towards a dedicated Stereo amplifier where specifically the NAD M10 looks very interesting to me. Later on I will be upgrading my speakers as well and depending on the type of speakers I buy I might change the sub or get rid of it altogether.

My question is what would this do with the audio reproduction for my movies? Does an AVR do any extra processing to downmix a x.1 track to 2.1 that the stereo amp would not be able to do and would the sound reproduction suffer? At the same time I assume the amp I am looking to buy will be a much better performer overall.

I understand the benefits and needs of a center speaker but until now we've never missed one and I do not really have the room for one so, for me, we can leave that part out of the discussion.

With a 50/50 split and just wanting 2.1 I would take a stereo amp everytime. Music is going to be far better and providing you get either an amp with it's own DAC or go for a standalone DAC then the TV can be connected by optical for your film and TV watching. You can set your TV to output PCM stereo via optical.

Thanks, this is what I was thinking as well! I was just wondering whether an AVR would do a better job with the PCM signal than a stereo amp (though I assume the NAD M10 has a much better DAC than the Denon 1910)

With a 50/50 split and just wanting 2.1 I would take a stereo amp everytime. Music is going to be far better and providing you get either an amp with it's own DAC or go for a standalone DAC then the TV can be connected by optical for your film and TV watching. You can set your TV to output PCM stereo via optical.

All you need to know sir.

And the Nads dac and associated preamp will be appreciably better than a budget AVR.

The Dirac will be an eye opener too.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom