• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Move BT Infinity Hub

daftpunk1

Established Member
A friend of mine had BT Infinity installed today but he was not there to make sure they put it in his back room. Instead they put it in the hall..

Im just wondering if it is possible to change it to the back room as I know there is a modification done to the wall plate...

deathtrap3000

Established Member
You can either leave the modem where it is and get a long ethernet cable for inbetween the modem and homehub or get a good quality dsl lead and move the modem and hub to where you want it. Just a case of replacing the shorter cables with the longer ones.

daftpunk1

Established Member
Running cables isnt really an option. Is there no way you can just swap the phone sockets about.

My friend was at work otherwise he would have made sure bt set it up in the back room

finite

Established Member
Either way it would involve running a cable either external to move the master (strictly an Openreach job) or internal to move the modem. The other option is the Ethernet cable I have some Cat6 external cable terminated into RJ45 outlets. One near the master and one upstairs near the Hub.

vinny41

Prominent Member
Running cables isnt really an option. Is there no way you can just swap the phone sockets about.

My friend was at work otherwise he would have made sure bt set it up in the back room

BT will only install BT Infinity on the master socket which is the one in the hall

wormvortex

Distinguished Member
Thats not true. They will install it anywhere you like. It doesnt have to be on the master socket.

or they may move the master socket anywhere you like ;) But your point remains as valid lol.

Though certain CP's products they sell don't come with the option for it to be moved or installed where ever you want. But I think all BT packages do.

deathtrap3000

Established Member
if you ask BT they will say yes at a cost of £130

BT Infinity installation beware - BTCare Community Forums
Mate its free. You dont have to believe me but I suggest you call bt who will confirm what I am saying.

"To make sure you get off to a great start, we'll send an engineer round to set up your new BT Infinity broadband connection at no extra cost."
"The engineer may install a small data extension kit and some extension cabling within your home if needed to make sure your equipment gives you the fastest possible speed."
No mention that this is a premium service.

Stoofa

Established Member
But if there is a cheaper option to the engineer he'll take that. That doesn't say he'll re-wire your house to your exact specification.
When we had Infinity installed the guys spent 10 minutes removing our extension sockets, doing some basic rewiring and now our master socket is upstairs and the connection is from there.
As that was the simplest option for them I doubt very much that I could have "demanded" things exactly how I wanted them.

Stoofa

Established Member
Well once again until somebody demands the moon on a stick from a BT Engineer there is really no evidence what BT will or will not do.
I personally think you're over estimating what BT will do. Demanding wiring in certain ways, I'd fully expect the engineer to walk away and ask you to take it up with sales.
But hay - I'm sure evidence of them doing whatever somebody wants will appear...or not.

deathtrap3000

Established Member
I dont think its unreasonable to ask the engineer not to touch your own internal wiring, especially if you have wired it yourself. I wouldnt want the engineer to touch mine or make any modifications to it. He can run his own cable to where I want it. Its his job after all and he will get paid the same regardless of what he does. It says on the bt website they will install it where you want. If you have no existing wires how can they do it without running new cable anyway?

smjxm09

Established Member
I dont think its unreasonable to ask the engineer not to touch your own internal wiring, especially if you have wired it yourself. I wouldnt want the engineer to touch mine or make any modifications to it.

So once he has run a new cable to your new location your own internal wiring is no longer connected to your new master socket. :confused:

smjxm09

Established Member
You said that you don't think it's unreasonable to ask the engineer not to touch your own internal wiring. If the engineer has run a new cable then that's the new master socket which has no internal cable connected. The line feeding the old master socket will be disconnected so isolating the internal wiring.

Unless the owner allows the existing internal wiring to "touched" so it is connected to the new socket then none of the internal sockets will work.

Last edited:

deathtrap3000

Established Member
You said that you don’t think it’s unreasonable to ask the engineer not to touch your own internal wiring. If the engineer has run a new cable then that’s the new master socket which has no internal cable connected. The line feeding the old master socket will be disconnected so isolating the internal wiring.

Unless the owner allows the existing internal wiring to "touched" so it is connected to the new socket then none of the internal sockets will work.
Thats not quite how it works. An engineer can install an extension without touching the internal wiring. They put the new faceplate on the existing master socket, then run a cable from there to where its needed and put a smaller extension socket on the end. Hey presto, an extension without touching existing wiring.

aandpwoodley

Distinguished Member
I had a openreach engineer out today as he said we can't install the hub anywhere you want.

First option is next to the master socket if the is a plug near buy or they can't run a Ethernet cable from the socket to your preferred hub location.

deathtrap3000

Established Member
I had a openreach engineer out today as he said we can't install the hub anywhere you want.

First option is next to the master socket if the is a plug near buy or they can't run a Ethernet cable from the socket to your preferred hub location.
Raise a complaint against the engineer if you want as thats not true.

-Gonzo-

Distinguished Member
Im getting infinity installed on the 29th, but I was slightly confused as to why I require 2 power sockets next to the master socket.
My master socket is one side of the room and my current home hub is the other side of the room about 5-6metres away next to my TV and Blu Ray player as they're connected via Ethernet cable also my PC is wired into the hub too.
I certainly hope I don't get told I cannot have the new hub in the same location as my existing one.
I could be wrong, but I'm sure I read somewhere that the hub can be upto 30m away from the modem?

deathtrap3000

Established Member
I could be wrong, but I'm sure I read somewhere that the hub can be upto 30m away from the modem?
The hub and modem can be up to around 30m from the master socket. They will get installed together in the same place, but where ever you need. This is included in the install so dont let the engineer tell you otherwise.

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom