Quantcast

Mouse traps

scrapbook

Well it looks as though we have a little mouse in the family that keeps hiding under the garden decking.

Can anyone recommend the best way to get rid of it other than by

a) getting a cat

or

b) hitting it over the head with a spade

anyone used a good mouse trap from their local Homebase or similar??

squirrely

Do you want to keep it alive? i was going to say poison.

huwg

Many years ago, I used a classic 'Tom & Jerry' style spring trap (made out of metal rather than wood) to catch a mouse in our kitchen.

I heard it go off, but had to wait for 5 minutes before I could go and look (in case the poor blighter was still alive)
As it happened, it cut his head clean off and left a small pool of blood on the floor.

I suggest you find a nicer way to 'trap' or catch the mouse, there's bound to be something available to suit your needs as well as the mouses.

scrapbook

Not too bothered about whether it goes dead or alive so long as it isn't a messy ending. God I hope those psycho animal welfare rights people aren't watching :rolleyes:

Can you pick up some poision from your friendly local homebase?? If I put it down am I likely to be left with one dead mouse and two dead neighbours cats in the garden??

Kevo

Have you ever caught your finger in one of those spring type mouse traps.

PAINFUL!

kbfern

Distinguished Member
If you get a mousetrap, bait it with a small piece of Mars bar or something soft and sticky they love that sort of food.

Steven

Senior Moderator
No mice near me! My garden is surrounded by three gardens, with all 3 sets of neighbours owning cats! Total = 5 cats

Garrett

kbfern said:
If you get a mousetrap, bait it with a small piece of Mars bar or something soft and sticky they love that sort of food.
Yup they love chockolate, thay also like bacon, but not cheese.

Mr Cat

Banned
klaus said:
Do you want to keep it alive? i was going to say poison.
somehow I doubt hitting it over the head with a spade will keep it alive... :D

Solomon Grundy

Distinguished Member
Yes, what is the problem with a mouse outside? You can guarantee that it won't be alone.

lee789

Novice Member
You can get mouse poison in most DIY stores inside a feeding box - like those rentokill ones, my understanding is the poison rots the mouse without it smelling. It ceratinly worked for us in the past.

fortean

Novice Member
I vote to leave the mouse alone too. Is it living in your garden or did someone build your house in its field?

scrapbook

Luckily this isn't a democracy! :devil:

I'll paint a picture..nice sunny afternoon, kids are playing in back the garden a bit of hula hoop, a bit of badminton. A few drinks and a bbq to finish the day off and then eeeeekk :eek: blooming mouse runs across the decking!! Nice.

I'll pop into Homebase tonight to purchase plans B and C, Plan A is to go out there with an empty quality street tin and some gloves so I can catch and release a few miles away!! :D

higenbs1

Novice Member
scrapbook said:
Luckily this isn't a democracy! :devil:

I'll paint a picture..nice sunny afternoon, kids are playing in back the garden a bit of hula hoop, a bit of badminton. A few drinks and a bbq to finish the day off and then eeeeekk :eek: blooming mouse runs across the decking!! Nice.

I'll pop into Homebase tonight to purchase plans B and C, Plan A is to go out there with an empty quality street tin and some gloves so I can catch and release a few miles away!! :D
Just the same as a bird running across your decking - I say leave it, as long as it doesn't find it's way into the house

mrtbag

Novice Member
Scrapbook, can I organise a poll? Will you promise to abide by the poll results, if we have one.

Save the mouse!!! Save the mouse!!! Save the mouse!!! :lease:

It's only hiding by the decking, because there will be lots of food (insects) under there.

Mr Cat

Banned
yeah, save the mouse...

Searcher73

Standard Member
I am definitely against killing the wee dude; you say he hangs about outside under your decking so is he actually causing any damage and its fast approaching winter anyway so no more barbies, badmington very soon.

He’s only chilling and trying to survive, probably got a wee mousey family to bring up so I am against killing him.

Ps

I’m not an animal welfare charity driven politically correct nugget in anyway, I just like small furry things as the wife would testify but if it was an insect or anything like that I all for casuing as much harm and damage to them I possibly could.

LEAVE THE MOUSE ALONE :lease:

Mr Cat

Banned
yeah, the thought of you hitting the poor fella with a spade shocks me..!!

sis anyone see that program on bbc2(?) last night about the hunting of the hippas in africa..?? blimey, that guy who claimed to be a lord who was just shooting anything he saw whilst in that boat...c*nt...mind, he had a nice rifle!!

mrtbag

Novice Member
Mr Cat said:
...c*nt...mind, he had a nice rifle!!
Shouldn't that be 'he had a nice (but excessive) collection of rifles!! :D

I think I might start a poll anyway. At least that way Scrapbook will be able to see how many of us detest his cruel attitude towards the hairy little bugger!! :rotfl:

Mr Cat

Banned
yeah, and hopefully we can save its life! yay!

Mr.D

Distinguished Member
In the past we had a mouse and rat manage to infiltrate the house , new fitted kitchen and the plumber didn't cement in the waste pipe properly . I filled it in later and trapped the wee buggers inside.

The mouse was spotted lurking under the TV so I put a trap down with a chocolate button on it . Five mins later and I've got a mouse running around with a trap attached to its head.

So I stomped it as I couldn't stand to see it suffer.

Bad mistake ...damn thing exploded. I was on the carpet on my hands and knees trying to find where its eyeballs had flown to.

The rat was very smart .

It waited until it heard the front door going before coming out from cover. So I managed to fool it by shutting the front door and waiting on the stairs . I watched as the nasty thing ran up the hall into the front room and I managed to shut it in.

I then spent the next hour moving all the furniture away from the walls and chasing the thing with a broom and a big maglite. I reckon for about half the time the rat was chasing me. It tried to go up my trouser legs twice.

Eventually I stunned it with the broom and quickly whapped it over the head with the big maglite ( deadly weapon those things). Surprisingly little mess apart from where the rat had ****** and shat itself. I o0n the other hand had managed to control myself.

No more problems after that... we bought a cat anyway.

However if its outside and unless you have them running all over the garden I'd say leave it . It will eat pests in the garden anyway and if you shrink you can use it as a horse.

Nobber22

Novice Member
Mr Cat said:
yeah, the thought of you hitting the poor fella with a spade shocks me..!!
I agree. What if you miss the mouse and damage your decking? :eek:

Use a broom to swat it instead.

Ed Selley

AVF Reviewer
Mr.D said:
It will eat pests in the garden anyway and if you shrink you can use it as a horse.
Common problem Keith?