Mouse mats

Nimby

Distinguished Member
They are stacking up.

Call it 2 quid a square foot and multiply by the number of PCs worldwide.

Say £1.2 billion minimum?

Who knows how many new mats are needed per year per computer?

That's an awful lot of foam and cloth with a relatively short useful life.

They can't be used for insulation because nobody has enough of the stuff to make it worthwhile.

What are we going to do about it?

101 things to do with a dead mouse mat?

simonoaks

They are stacking up.

Call it 2 quid a square foot and multiply by the number of PCs worldwide.

Say £1.2 billion minimum?

Who knows how many new mats are needed per year per computer?

They can't be used for insulation because nobody has enough of the stuff to make it worthwhile.

What are we going to do about it?

well, how about handing them out to the homeless, poor and 3rd world to use a bedding/matresses ?

njp

I can't do without one since going optical. I have a glass desk.
Well, that's the real problem right there. You should have a suitably textured mousing area etched or engraved onto your desk...

People who sit at glass desks shouldn't throw stones.

Sporran

People who sit at glass desks shouldn't throw stones.

LOL i liked that one.

I must confess since getting a laptop i much prefer stroking the pad or poking the nipple :smashin:

BName

Banned
I brought a new pc unit the other month i set all my gear up on it did away with my mouse mat and the red light under my optical mouse has taken off the varnish on the keyboard tray where the mouse sits. So i am now using a mouse mat.

N

nikyzf

I can't do without one since going optical. I have a glass desk.
In which case a piece of card will suffice. The sort of card that comes on the back of A4 stationery pads is ideal.

njp

the red light under my optical mouse has taken off the varnish on the keyboard tray where the mouse sits. So i am now using a mouse mat.
That's what you get for using one of those new-fangled laser gaming mice...

Actually, I've just looked up laser mice to make sure I hadn't imagined them, and I see that it is claimed they work on shiny surfaces that defeat LED mice. So they might provide a solution to Nimby's problem.

Are you seriously claiming the varnish has degraded as a result of the light from the mouse rather than abrasion from the shiny pads on the bottom? That would be very odd indeed, and might even require some new physics.

BName

Banned
That's what you get for using one of those new-fangled laser gaming mice...

Actually, I've just looked up laser mice to make sure I hadn't imagined them, and I see that it is claimed they work on shiny surfaces that defeat LED mice. So they might provide a solution to Nimby's problem.

Are you seriously claiming the varnish has degraded as a result of the light from the mouse rather than abrasion from the shiny pads on the bottom? That would be very odd indeed, and might even require some new physics.

Ye i have three clear round patches now on my keyboard shelf where the light has faded the varnish. I did wonder if it was abrasion from the shiny pads on the bottom but i have no kind of scratch marks or anything appart from these round faded marks from where the mouse has been sitting.

njp

Ye i have three clear round patches now on my keyboard shelf where the light has faded the varnish. I did wonder if it was abrasion from the shiny pads on the bottom but i have no kind of scratch marks or anything appart from these round faded marks from where the mouse has been sitting.
That's quite odd. I'd have expected the light from the optical mouse to be less energetic than normal daylight (it's the spectrum, not the intensity that matters), and to have therefore had less effect on the varnish. Does that area get significantly warm when the mouse has been resting there for a while? Perhaps it's the heat what done it.

BName

Banned
Ye i was thinking it might of been the heat caused from it. I just put the mouse to my hand though to feel how warm it is and i could hardly feel the heat off it i would of thought it would of needed to be hotter to cause it to do that. But left in the same place over a long enough period of time ? and when using it the mouse is usually in the same place give an inch or so all round.

N

nikyzf

Ye i was thinking it might of been the heat caused from it. I just put the mouse to my hand though to feel how warm it is and i could hardly feel the heat off it i would of thought it would of needed to be hotter to cause it to do that. But left in the same place over a long enough period of time ? and when using it the mouse is usually in the same place give an inch or so all round.
Normal optical mice go into a sort of standby when not being moved, with only enough light to detect movement, as in picking it up. Do laser mice not do the same?

damo_in_sale

Mouse mats can accumulate dirt and germs. As a result, I replace mine every day and recycle the old one with fire.

I do utilise a few however in order to increase the crash worthiness or my car. Safety has always been a major concern for me, and that's why I have 42” plasma monitors for my wing mirrors.

:)

D

Deleted member 30535

I have one of those "better quality" :rolleyes: Alsop mouse mats that refuse to separate the top layer from the rubber base. I've had this mouse mat for almost 9 years now. I'd recommend one! Good value!

As to what you could do with them.......... use them to even up your sub on a wonky floor or worse still your marble plinth on the wonky floor? :devil: ;) :)

Nimby

Distinguished Member
Haven't heard of an Alsop mat before. I'll have a look out for one.

I've tried both card and paper on top of an old mat but they disintegrated very quickly and felt awful in use. They burn my hand!

I might try some rigid plastic sheet on a bare rubber mat.

njp: I'm not allowed anywhere near anything which has nipples.

So I'll have to look at lasers instead.

Am I allowed to call damo incorrigible? :suicide

D

Deleted member 30535

Maybe becuase it is Allsop not Alsop!! :blush:

Although not much use to you, I have seen them in Currys and PCWorld.

Considering I also did a lot of gaming, the Allsop has been the best mat I've had, period. 8-9 years is a great testament to their quality and longetivity.

D

Deleted member 30535

So, what's wrong with this then? :rolleyes:

Attachments

• allsop-water-droplets-mousemat.jpg
    allsop-water-droplets-mousemat.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 58

BName

Banned
I wouldn't suggest getting a mouse mat from Pc World they might break up after a week.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Starzplay streaming service rebrands as Lionsgate+
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
JVC adds Filmmaker Mode to latest D-ILA projector firmware
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bowers & Wilkins launches Px8 headphone
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sky set to launch its plug-and-play Sky Stream solution