1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mouse - Keyboard reccomendations for Online FPS

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by Chaos Star, Jun 15, 2004.

1. Chaos Star

Chaos Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Currently using a microsoft wirless keyboard and mouse - pretty sure this is lagging when playing FPS games. Was wondering what is the best mouse keybord combo for FPS games?

Im also using and relativley old graphics card - can a reduced frame rate reduce my online abilities?

Im running a Radeon 9500 128 Meg and the Pc has 256 Ram - AMD 2200XP and have just ordered UT2004.

:thumbsup:

2. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,107
    Yeah graphics lag will cause you problems online.

I just use an Intellimouse Explorer, wire version, best mouse I have found to use.

I am not sure that Wireless would be that great for FPS not if you were a true purist, but it shouldn't be that bad.

TBH though, either you are good or you are not. One of my mates used to be amazing at CS (Would always top the tables got asked to play for some of the best clans in the country), he used to play on 56K, a 14" monitor and a really crap PC. Sure he improved even more when he would use the latest kit, but at the end of the day skill will overrule bad tools :p

3. Chaos Star

Chaos Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Used to play UT Original on 56k and used to win lots of games - but once everyone went broanband it really effected my results - so I think connection can make a huge difference.

4. WILD9

WILD9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Keyboard - whatever your comfortable with
    Mouse - id go for an intelliouse explorer V3 if you can find one the v4 isnt as good for games apparently. A friend of mine has played for the uk counterstrike team on several occasions and swears by the V3. Failing that ive heard good things about the logitech mx 500. just try and steer clear of cordless stuff. Yes a slower framerate can hamper your gameing as if it slows down below about 30 fps you will find yourself overcompensating your aim in the slight stutters between frames.

5. General Panic

General Panic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Tried cordless mouse/keyboard and got slaughtered on-line. Straight back to Microsoft Intellimouse and keyboard. Playing on a 56k modem these days with so many on Broadband does put you at an instant disadvantage , altough i played DOD for a couple of years on a 56k modem with pings of 350-400 and held my own(as they say) so a bit of practise also helps a lot.

Panic

6. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,107
    I wasn't saying it doesn't make a difference, but a good player won't notice it that much :) That was my point.

For me being fairly average at CS these days, connection and lag makes a difference, for my mate who is awesome at CS, he is always awesome regardless how his PC is set up. Human reaction is far more important than the machines "reactions".

7. Chaos Star

Chaos Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Just got broadband - so I cant blame my ping if I dont win - but playing UT is duff when you have 56k and others have BB - doesnt matter how much skill you have you are often shooting at nothing as the players sprite has moved on and your lagging behind with your connection. Maybe counterstrike isnt so bad as its a far slower game.

I done a bit of googling and was considering maybe a Razor Viper or and MX510 - but heard that the Viper maybe be over sensitive.

I dont mind running an FPS with everything at the lowest setting - so I should be able to get 30 FPS.

8. WILD9

WILD9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    heh when it comes to aiming and shooting no fps is slower really, the difference with cs is basically whoever shoots first wins assuming they aim well so although you dont run arround as fast id say counterstrike needs faster reactions than unreal tournament. The halflife engine has excelent client side prediction and other lag negating systems which help people with higher pings so its noticed less but its still important. Its true tho it does all come down to skill , i considdered myself an excelent player , kicking myself if i didnt come clear top of a game but after seeing my friend play ive realised i could never be that good, it is simply unbelieveable how fast these people can aim and fire, if he hadnt been playing on my own setup id have been 100% certain he was cheating.