mounting

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by reggieperrin, Jun 17, 2008.

1. reggieperrin

reggieperrin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi all

just got in my optoma hd65 (and wow- bang for the buck is HUGE) now looking at screens

due to length of room and height of ceiling (would involve massive long ceiling mount) im getting approx 3m wide 16:9 image - around 130" diagonal.

now most of the cheaper screens i have seen seem to have the screw mounting holes at the end of the case. pretty inflexible if like me you have studwork walls

could plasterboard screws hold up a screen of that size?

ceiling hanging is a no-no as well i think again due to the height of the ceiling - would look a bit weird with 2m of chain hanging down!

2. stevelup

stevelup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,167
    There are lots of screens with sliding brackets which you could align with the studs so have another shop around before committing to one.

I wouldn't recommend plasterboard screws - those PJ screens are very heavy and they are subject to vibration when raising and lowering.

Best compromise would be to fix a batten to the wall (screwed into the studs), and then attach your screen to that. It should be possible to do it discretely as the screen housing will hide your batten.

Steve

3. reggieperrin

reggieperrin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yeah i was thinking of batten, only problem is there is a large (~1m) drop back from the wall, and when it comes forward again that seems to be just plasterboard, no studs there.

only studs i can find on the left would leave over a meter floating in mid air :)