Mounting TV on Chimney breast which has a wood burning stove in the room below

daymouse

Distinguished Member
Hey all,

Just wanted to get some advice on mounting a TV on a chimney breast.

We want to mount the TV on the Chimney Breast in our bedroom however below our bedroom is the living room which has a wood burning stove. Obviously heat isn't an issue but i wanted to check in regards to drilling and if its possible to drill too far and say puncture the lining of the chimney potentially letting fumes into the bedroom.

Just wanted to see if this is something i needed to watch out for?

aVdub

Banned
Hey all,

Just wanted to get some advice on mounting a TV on a chimney breast.

We want to mount the TV on the Chimney Breast in our bedroom however below our bedroom is the living room which has a wood burning stove. Obviously heat isn't an issue but i wanted to check in regards to drilling and if its possible to drill too far and say puncture the lining of the chimney potentially letting fumes into the bedroom.

Just wanted to see if this is something i needed to watch out for?

That will depend on many things I'm guessing and will use mine as an example.

My place is a turn of the 20th century house that has large fireplaces and high ceilings blah blah. The open fires have been removed and in the living room I have hung a 60in on the breast using the same bolts and rawl plugs that a satellite engineer would use to fix a Sky dish to a house and these do have been drilled to not go all the way through the single depth bricks that are used. This I know because I removed a brick to add a brush plate for cables and have added a lintel to the same breast in the kitchen, removing a large portion of it.

If old it is worth checking the condition of the bricks and quality of the mortar as some are not ideal for drilling into and and adding bolts that may split the bricks and some have weak mortar.

As there are many types I would say a little drilling and testing may be the order of the day and if unsure smaller holes can be made and a chemical anchor added to thread bar will be more than enough to hang most things off.

daymouse

Distinguished Member
That will depend on many things I'm guessing and will use mine as an example.

My place is a turn of the 20th century house that has large fireplaces and high ceilings blah blah. The open fires have been removed and in the living room I have hung a 60in on the breast using the same bolts and rawl plugs that a satellite engineer would use to fix a Sky dish to a house and these do have been drilled to not go all the way through the single depth bricks that are used. This I know because I removed a brick to add a brush plate for cables and have added a lintel to the same breast in the kitchen, removing a large portion of it.

If old it is worth checking the condition of the bricks and quality of the mortar as some are not ideal for drilling into and and adding bolts that may split the bricks and some have weak mortar.

As there are many types I would say a little drilling and testing may be the order of the day and if unsure smaller holes can be made and a chemical anchor added to thread bar will be more than enough to hang most things off.
Thanks is for that info.

I have mounted a couple of TVs in our old hose using rigfix bolts but they were huge and the fireplace wasn’t used anymore.

Have you got a link to the ones you used like Sky as they sound ideal. Thanks.

aVdub

Banned
Thanks is for that info.

I have mounted a couple of TVs in our old hose using rigfix bolts but they were huge and the fireplace wasn’t used anymore.

Have you got a link to the ones you used like Sky as they sound ideal. Thanks.

Welcome

Something along these lines did for me.

daymouse

Distinguished Member
Welcome

Something along these lines did for me.

They seem ideal. Just checked the mount I bought and it comes with 70mm bolts so I’m better off with the ones you suggest at 50mm to make sure they don’t penetrate through the first brick layer of the chimney

aVdub

Banned
They seem ideal. Just checked the mount I bought and it comes with 70mm bolts so I’m better off with the ones you suggest at 50mm to make sure they don’t penetrate through the first brick layer of the chimney

70mm Should be fine and I was only using the size due to having a large pot full of them.

Toolstation/screwfix stock the bolts and will be much cheaper than the Ebay link I added above.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN95B 4K QLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom