1. We have a team of over 50 moderators working to keep our community safe.Welcome to AVForums.
    Helping with Audio Visual home entertainment since 2000.
    Get help finding the right AV products at the right prices. Get help setting up your AV equipment so you get the most out of it.
    Membership is free. Competitions are free. Classifieds are free. Join now.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mounting TV on a lathe & plaster wall

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by marks87, Apr 10, 2008.

1. marks87

marks87 Standard Member

Ratings:
    +0
    For a while now I've been meaning to mount my 17" LCD TV onto the wall and today I've started the first steps.

As the thread title suggests, it's a lathe and plaster wall. So, a few holes in it later and I'm 90% sure I've found a stud (I'll do some more drilling just to confirm).

But now, I'm not entirely sure what the best route is from here, because different sites say different things. Do I go ahead and try to mount straight onto the stud, or am I better off making a mounting board and fixing that, then using strong wood screws to attach the bracket to this?

Or, is there any other method?

Cheers.

PS - the TV is 7kg. Just in case that makes a difference.

2. marks87

marks87 Standard Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry to reply to my own post, but...

I decided to see if the stud was wide enough to take the bracket...and lo-and-behold it is. So I fixed the wall plate to it and found it almost impossible to fully drive the screws (but managed in the end), which I'm taking as a good sign.

I assembled the arm and suspended a rucksack with around 8kg of books in it off the end. I also stuck a pound coin on its end on the bar. Almost five hours later and the bracket was still up and the coin hadn't moved, so I took that as proof that it was solid.

A further three hours later and my TV is up and the room returned to near-normality - just need to fill in these "seek" holes and tidy up my cables! (Off I trot to another board for advice about the latter...)

3. Bossk128

Bossk128 Active Member

Ratings:
    +93
    I'm in the process of trying to decide where to put my TV, and wall mounting is one option. It's 38kgs though :rolleyes:

Does anyone have experience of mounting a large plasma to lathe and plaster without digging a hole through to the masonry?

4. scatterbug

scatterbug Active Member

Ratings:
    +207
    It might be better asking in the plasma mounts and brackets forum. However, I doubt lathe & plaster can hold that kind of weight. You need to affix to studwork or masonry.