Question Mounting TV in Wardrobe

mr ploppy

Standard Member
Looking for some advice and recommendations here. We have wardrobes with sliding doors in the bedroom and a TV on the middle shelf behind one of the doors. It's only a 22" Samsung but it's big enough because it's not a big bedroom. I've recently bought a soundbar for the TV (previously had some crappy PC speakers, which was better than the TV's sound) which has improved the sound enormously. Problem is: the soundbar is at the front edge of the shelf and TV is on its stand behind. I've had to put the TV stand on books to raise the TV so that the remote works, and I've also had to tilt the TV forward to get the viewing angle right - so it's a bit of a rubbish setup. What would you do to solve this problem? I've looked at a cantilever arm - which I could mount on the stud wall behind - but the fact that the arm would have to be permanently extended to about 17" to bring the TV to the front of the shelf, above the soundbar, worries me slightly. I certainly don't want the TV sat further back inside the wardrobe. I'm not sure if I'm right to be concerned about the arm being permanently extended. I've also considered a stand with legs that protrude forward - but the legs would have to go under the soundbar so that's not ideal. Or I just leave it on books. Can someone please advise what would be best to do, and recommend an arm, or whatever. Thanks in advance.

mr ploppy

Standard Member
Think I need to update my requirements. I've been thinking - a cantilever arm is probably overkill for my situation. What I really need is a table top TV stand with 75mm VESA mounts. It needs to be able to raise the TV enough that it clears the soundbar which is sat in front of it, so I don't know if I need one that has height adjustment or not - otherwise the mounting height would need to be spot on. The mounting holes are towards the top of the TV which means the stand needs to be quite tall. I'd also like it to be tiltable because the viewing position is below the TV. Anyway, I've searched high and low for such a stand for a 22inch TV but haven't found one that satisfies all these requirements. Anybody?

mr ploppy

Standard Member
To answer my own question, in case anyone's interested: I plumped for a Duronic DM55W1X2. Slight overkill perhaps, because the reach is 2ft - I needed about 16inches but the "one piece" wall mounts tend to only go about 13inches. Anyway, it's impressive quality for £30. The thing I did learn when looking for a mount for a small (22in) TV, is to search for PC monitor mounts instead. Probably didn't need the huge screws for stud mounting a 22in TV, and the 3mm pilot hole suggested for them simply wasn't enough - it was ridiculously hard to screw them in even with a 5mm pilot hole. The rest was a piece of cake.

Pebbleridge

Hi there,
Just found your thread, sorry to see you didn't get any advice, but pleased to see you solved your problem.
It's very interesting to me, because I have exactly the same issue in my wardrobe.
I think I've decided on a bracket like this one:-
TV Bracket
My problem is the back of the wardrobe (Built in) is not quite flat against the wall, So I need to figure out a way around that.
Regards,
Paul

mr ploppy

Standard Member
Hi,
I looked at loads of brackets like the one you mention, but none had enough reach for me - I wanted to bring the TV out almost flush with the sliding doors. The only comment I'd make about those kinds of brackets is that you have to be pretty precise where you mount it on the wall - based on the location of the holes on the back of the TV, and where you want the TV to sit relative to your shelving (assuming you have some in the wardrobe). I didn't have that worry because the arm I chose can go at any angle in any direction. Would have preferred that price, but I didn't think £30 was too bad in the end. It's very sturdy and hasn't fallen down yet! I was lucky, I suppose, because our built-in wardrobes don't have a back to them, so I had access to the stud wall. Good luck figuring out a solution - it took me ages to decide what to do.

Pebbleridge

Hi,
Good shout on the reach, I'll do some measuring in my wardrobe and see if the bracket will bring it out far enough.
Regards,
Pul

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom