Mounting TV in existing recess troubles

technoholic

Hi

I built the false chimney in my picture a few years back, at the time, I allowed for mounting the bracket for the TV I had, I didn't have the foresight to think about future TVs.

Sorry this isn't a great current picture but we're in the process of redecorating and the carpet was wet from cleaning so had to stand far away

tempImageUIlyQt.png

The problem is that the I've just bought a new A90J and the vesa points are much lower than the current TV. The current bracket won't accommodate this and so needs to be lowered and I'll change it in the process as it's not the best mount. Here is a picture of the wall before boarding up:

IMG_1003.JPG

What I should have done is battened out the whole area between the horizontal studs. My plan is instead to mount vertically 1x4 battens between each blue and red X but on the outside of the plasterboard, which will be hidden by the TV anyway. They would be attached to the horizontal studs at the top and bottom of each piece. Then I'd paint it and mount the new bracket to anywhere on that section of battening.

Question is, would this be ok for support? The wood would only be 1 inch thick so I'd have to use shortish maybe coach bolts into that wood. The horizontal battens behind the plasterboard are firmly attached to the blockwork with frame fixings.

Any thoughts would be appreciated! Thanks

Harkon321

Really difficult to say whether 1" screws will be enough to support it. I tend to over engineer everything, so maybe others would be able to tell you more.

As it's going to be hidden by the TV, you could split the plasterboard (multitool is good for this), add new timbers and then add new pb strips over the top. Bit like a patch repair. Can paint etc if needed, and it's then got a solid fixing.

technoholic

yes cutting out the plasterboard and adding new wood in the void is my last resort option. I could then drill through the wood and into the wall behind to mount the bracket, as I have done now with the current bracket. But I'm an idiot and didn't think about this before I painted, and so although I can do it, I'd rather not if I don't need to!

Harkon321

Easy enough to try your idea. Put a batten between those 4x1s (with 1’’ screws) and then hang off it/hang about the weight of the TV. If you end up on the floor then you need to cut that plasterboard. :D

I think my projector weighs about 20 kg, but I know that the hush box holds my 76kg hanging off it. That's screwed lots of times, but only in to 18mm OSB so there may be hope that you'll be ok.

technoholic

Actually I've just measured more accurately. The recess is 140mm deep, so I could put in 2 inch wood, plus 37mm depth of bracket I have (if I use it) plus tv which is 41mm max, and that would just about be flush. 2 inches should be enough I think?!

Gaz RSVR

Can you cut and insert a wood panel the same size as recess opening in chimney, thinking like 18mm ply backer board screwed to joists with mdf laminate board over the top of that (think kitchen end panel, choice of colours) would protude 36mm if using 2 18mm boards, back of tv would be a laminated finish👍

technoholic

It's also an option yes.
Although I think what I might try is modifying the bracket I have to extend the mounting pieces to allow the tv to mount to the bracket in its current position. TV has not actually arrived yet so will try that before anything more drastic

technoholic

alternatively, if my calculations are correct, I need to move the mount down by 140mm which will allow the tv to be mounted correctly and centered with the recess. That would handily put the bottom rail of the bracket directly inline with the wood which has the red Xs, so I could mount to that no problem, but the top rail would then be mounting to the open area below the blue Xs. Anyone suggest a suitable plasterboard mounting solution that would work?

Gaz RSVR

alternatively, if my calculations are correct, I need to move the mount down by 140mm which will allow the tv to be mounted correctly and centered with the recess. That would handily put the bottom rail of the bracket directly inline with the wood which has the red Xs, so I could mount to that no problem, but the top rail would then be mounting to the open area below the blue Xs. Anyone suggest a suitable plasterboard mounting solution that would work?
I've used the gripit fixings for speakers to plaster board which are very good and rated up to around 100kg, if you can get fixings in the bottom stud I would use these for the top fixings no problem 👍

AmericanAudio

AVForums Sponsor
Can you cut and insert a wood panel the same size as recess opening in chimney, thinking like 18mm ply backer board screwed to joists with mdf laminate board over the top of that (think kitchen end panel, choice of colours) would protude 36mm if using 2 18mm boards, back of tv would be a laminated finish👍
This, or thicker.

Big sheet of thick mdf, mounted to the existing battons and then the wall bracket can be mounted anyware on the backing.

These new TV's are a nightmare for their mounting positions.

technoholic

This, or thicker.

Big sheet of thick mdf, mounted to the existing battons and then the wall bracket can be mounted anyware on the backing.

These new TV's are a nightmare for their mounting positions.
You mean mount the bracket just to MDF? Surely that won’t support the weight of a tv?

AmericanAudio

AVForums Sponsor
Have you tried lifting a large, 21mm sheet of MDF?? Lets call it a good quality wood back.

From what I see you have 5 timber mount points to screw the wood backplate to, 2 vertical at the top and three horizontal Upper, Mid and Lower. Good quality screws and a good number will hold it fine.

Then the TV (which will be lighter than the old one coming out for sure) and its bracket will mount to your new wood backplate. It is how we request ours to be built on install projects and the client hasn't chosen the TV's or confirmed brackets.

Plenty of fixings to get wood on the batons and then the same again to get the bracket onto the wood. Helps distribute the weight and leverage.

technoholic

My point was more that I didn’t think screwing into MDF was a good idea, I thought it doesn’t provide very secure mountings due to the way it’s made

technoholic

Decided to go the belts and braces way, more work but doesn’t impact my depth and gives me options, even though it’s more work.
8F8EF4FA-A03A-4F4D-B5EC-8F36A6414A97.jpeg

technoholic

It’s (almost) like it never happened

Another brain fart moment though, I can’t remember how I mounted it the first time but I can’t see any plugs so I think I drilled 100mm into the solid wall and then tapped in 50mm plugs to screw the coach screw into. I’ve bought 10x50 plugs again and was planning to do the same this time but is that the best way? With only 50mm in wall? I could get 10x80 plugs so some would be in the wood but not sure if that is best either. I think 50mm will be fine but it just doesn’t look like a lot

0177E1FA-41DD-4C43-A7A0-FFBDCE005C70.jpeg

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic LZ2000, LZ1500 & LZ980 Hands-on Launch Event | No QD-OLED for 2022, new 77-inch for LZ2000
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom