Mounting Screen on Fibreboard wall

Nardies

Novice Member
Tried to perform a search before posting but got nothing back.

Anyway, i'm somewhat of a n00b to home cinema construction. When it comes to cabling and stuff i'm fine, messing around with walls and support beams etc is where i get stuck.

Basically i'm looking to put a 37" LCD panel up on my bedroom wall, however, the only wall available is not a solid wall. There appears to be some kind fibreboard crap (almost like straw) behind the plaster. I can't find any timber in the wall either.

What would be my best option for mounting such a screen safely? I'm thinking i'm going to have to bring the wall forward slightly?

jonny round boy

Novice Member
It sounds like a material popular in the 70's for internal walls - it's basically compressed straw sandwiched between two thin layers of plasterboard. There won't be any timber in it to fasten to.

So, you have 3 options if you value your TV:

1. buy a stand;
2. put it somewhere else;
3. pull down & rebuild the partition in timber.

Sorry to bring bad news...:(

Nardies

Novice Member
Arse, i thought as much.

I'm thinking about building another wall infront of it, incorporating supporting beams to support a TV, hopefully should help.

IronGiant

I don't know if it would work for you aesthetically, but if you attached a sheet of 22mm MDF to the wall (preferably resting on the floor) with multiple plasterboard fixers you could then attach the wall mount to that.

Dave

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic HX800 TV + Sony HT-G700 Soundbar reviews, movie and TV show news and reviews
Top Bottom