Mounting sapphire screen

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by jo11, Jul 26, 2017.

1. jo11

jo11

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Hi, Got a 120in screen that had to be taken down. Had a new plaster board put up over the old ceiling then skimmed. It was screwed into the joist last time. Has anyone put one up just screwing into the plasterboard as I would like it fitted back further to the wall.
    Any help would be great, thanks Jo

2. panman40

panman40
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,742
    Definately not recommended, can you find a joist further back ?, if not make up some sturdy flat bar metal brackets to position where you need. That's what I did to enable the drop to 'just' fall in front my tv.

3. jo11

jo11

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Hi, Thanks for your reply. Thought that would be the answer. I wouldn't have a clue how to do what you said. I think I can remember where the joist was so will just get it put back in the same place. It would only be about a foot further back so not really worth the risk of it falling down. Was hoping a mate was going to do it today for me but looks like I will be waiting a bit longer.

4. panman40

panman40
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,742
    My dwelling is from the 50's and ceiling joists are 16" apart, I believe either 16 or 24" is the standard. I didn't need to move mine much and it was more because of an inaccuracy between joist run and wall level so my brackets were made slightly differnt to compensate. Perhaps on my next screen I will go for in ceiling as the joist direction is in my favor.

I hope your mate gets his butt in gear :)

5. archie2000

archie2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    I had a similar problem when mounting my screen. The position I wanted was right between joists, so I used some scrap pieces of wood and fitted some bracing between the joints and screwed the screen brackets into them. This shot shows one of the additional bracing points.
    The cable is the power feed to the screen.

DSC_5497.JPG

Last edited: Jul 29, 2017
  6. jo11

jo11

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Thanks for the reply's. I got a flat roof above, nothing above. . Didn't know I needed a new ceiling till the day they came to skim it so no time to think about what I could of got done. Got the end of my sub lead stuck in the av receiver port and can not get it out, it snapped off. Getting fed up now, no projecter up and no sub. Going to have to buy new receiver.
    Jo
    Back to the receiver section to get advice on which one to get.