Mounting projector on coffee table.

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by stasis, Dec 20, 2006.

1. stasis

stasis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    :hiya: I am plannimg to install my first DLP/LCD projector into my livingroom in the next year. I think it may be best for me to permanantly mount the projector in a shelf below a coffee table. This seems to be the easier option to avoid burying cables and having obvious cieling mounts. I will run the mains cable and an HDMI cable below the floor and discreetly into the table. I have done a couple of searches but I have not seen anything that would neatly blend into a livingroom.
    Can anyone point me in the direction of any suitable furniture for this purpose and is there mounts needed to allow proper alignment to the screen. Is there any other issues for me to consider? My AV equipment is going to be on a sperate rack about 5 metres from the projector.
    regards stasis.

2. kurtz

kurtz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Rather than AV-specific stuff, you could look at furniture shops. Ikea do several tables with shelves under them (metal, glass, wood etc), like this 'Lack'.

I had a square one in birch finish to put a projector under. It wasn't quite the right height, but you can drill an inch or so into the core of the legs and fit castors to jack it up a fraction if you need to ;) (I did).

I had a peculiar room (long and narrow - but I could to make it 'dedicated' so I wasn't complaining). Issues you should consider are
    • cable run (mains and video signal)
    • screen offset (the projector will have to fire upwards onto the screen)
    • remote control infrared signals being shaded by the tabletop
    Cooling is not a problem because the shelf is open at all sides.

I used an RF programmable handset (some of the kit was outside the room - I told you it was peculiar) and infrared blasters further down the room. But, actually, if I use the projector's own handset for any of the menu-specific features I haven't bothered to program into my own, the IR signal still reaches the projector, presumably bouncing and scattering off surfaces.

The table is certainly solid enough that you can still use it to put glasses on while the projector's on without jogging the picture at all.

3. loftfuton

loftfuton
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Stasis

Like you my home cinema has to double as a living room, so everything had to be hidden as much as possible, and the coffee-table solution was the route I followed. When I was looking around, about 3 or 4 years ago, I couldn't find anything that was really suitable. Getting enough height for the projector so that I didn't have to use too much keystone correction was my problem - everything I saw would give too low a position - the centre of my screen is about 4ft from the ground. In the end I built my own coffee table, and the table-top under which the projector is suspended rises so that the centre of my lens is almost 2ft high. When I have finished with it, I push the table top down again and the projector gets hidden within the table.

This link http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=205390 shows you what I mean, and goes into a bit more detail if your interested.

As regards the cabling to the table, after considering hiding them under the floorboards, I took the easy option and threw a rug over them !!!

4. stasis

stasis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Thanks for the replies, I am surprised there is not more dedicated stuff available. I will probably modify a coffee table to suit. I am definately not clever enough for a loftfuton job though.:cool:
    stasis.