1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mounting Plasma onto the wall

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by JohnBG, Feb 3, 2005.

1. JohnBG

JohnBG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys,

I finally decided which plasma to buy, I bought a LG that will be delivered tomorrow.

I also ordered the wall mount and was wondering how you suggest I hang it, ie how high from the floor. I also have a home cinema system which I also wish to hang......any suggestions?????????

2. geewhizz

geewhizz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
  3. mark.king

mark.king
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I hung mine so I wasn't having to look up when viewing from sat down. The bottom of mine is about 4 foot from the floor. My wall is breeze block and I used 8 raw bolts which required a 10mm hole and used 6mm bolts. Could swing on it when finished. Probably a bit over the top. I recon 4 would have done it.

4. geewhizz

geewhizz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    I hung mine about the same ( 4ft ) Onto brick wall, I used 10mm drill bit and 7 big bolts and raw plugs. Would have done 8 bolts but one was squint. also did the hang test. :laugh:

5. nealgs

nealgs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hanging will depend of type of walls you will be hanging onto - plastered breezeblock, plasterboard on timber frame nailed, or dotndabbed, or airblocks (IIRC - like breezeblocks but finer density)

do a search of this forum for wall mounting or similar - there are a lot of threads covering this subject :thumbsup:

regards
    Gary

6. Steve Zodiac

Steve Zodiac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +173
    I used five of these along the top edge of the mount and a couple of lighter duty coach screws and nylon plugs at the bottom of the mount.

Hell....your chairs must be high!! :)

Initially, the bottom of my visible screen was around 45" above floor level but I have since lowered it to 37" (as low as I can) and it is much better for me.

I've seen it mentioned that a recommended height for a screen is eye level whilst seated (for me 38") should be around 1/3 up the visible screen, which is what I would have done if the mantlepiece hadn't got in the way!

7. happyhiker

happyhiker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    How have you guys walled in the (VGA/Scart?componet)Cable to the plasma ? Have you used face plates(which I was trying to do buts its turning into a night mare) or do you just have bits of cable hanging out the wall
    and pastered over the cables etc?

I've got VGA face plates from Keene electronics, but the electrician who came for a quote reckoned the wasn't enough room for the VGA cable case to go into the wall, max depth of 470mm but vga cable is 600mm deep.
    I could smash the casing of, but a £22 a cable don't want to bu :censored: er anything up.

8. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    Depends how far away you are sitting. The further, the higher you can have the screen mounted.

Rule of thumb is your eyes when seated should be level with the centre of the screen. Further away you can get away with an acute angle.

Nobody says you should follow best practice though and you may prefer it high and having to look up to it. It would kill my neck though....

9. mark.king

mark.king
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Can't beet a good hang on the plasma mount test lol. My room is 21 foot long and about 4 foot is ok for me (may be a little less) I have not bothered to chase the wires into the wall as I always change stuff so didn't want something as permanent. I got double width trunking and painted it the same colour as the wall. Women friends think it looks ok. By the way I have my sub (rel strataIII) in thmiddle with the centre speaker just above it so there is only a few inches of this showing.

10. Johnny Thunder

Johnny Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Hiker, check out THIS forum.
    Plenty of advice and pics in there. :smashin:

11. geewhizz

geewhizz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    Hi

I will channel the walls and sink the cables and plaster over them.
    Don't have my plasma yet ( store broke mine, :thumbsdow so i have there display one till mines comes )
    So used there's to test my bracket. :rotfl:
    Mines from the bottom is 38" and i am sitting about 6ft away,
    But when i am watching plasma from my recliner chair, its so comfy. :rolleyes:
    Will post some before and after photo's on GET YOUR PLASMA OUT FOR THE LADS thread next couple of weeks. :smashin:

12. JohnBG

JohnBG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got mine onto the wall, around 3 feet high using x6 8mm screws.
    [​IMG]