1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

mounting plasma on plywood

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Ianch, Mar 21, 2005.

1. Ianch

Ianch
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The wall I intend to hang a 42" plasma from is a stud partition wall. However, the wall is plasterboard on a sheet of three quarter inch ply which has been screwed to the wooden partitioning. Will this be secure enough ?

2. samjet

samjet
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    in a simple word YES :D (however see my comments below regarding fixings)

even with plasterboard people tend to underestimate its loadbearing capacity - as an architect many years ago i went to an exhibition organised by british gypsum (uk leading supplier/manufacturer) and was amazed just what you could hang off the stuff PROVIDED you used the correct fixings

3. nealgs

nealgs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

this is very similar to how we have our plasma setup. Our walls are plasterboard-stud partition, but we used a sheet of 8mm (possibly 12mm) MDF which is screwed to the wood uprights. using 10 x 3" course threaded wood screws.

the mounting points for the plasma mount are drill right through the mdf into the plaster board, into which are screwed those aluminium plasterboard plugs - screws for the plasma mount then go through mount, into mdf, and screw into these plugs.

difficult to explain, but plasma is still up after just over a year :smashin: :D

Gary

4. Supersonic72

Supersonic72
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've installed my Panny 42" on an 18mm sheet of MDF set onto the plasterboard
    with 4x 6mm by 50mm screws and the screen mount is set onto the MDF using
    6x 8mm by 100mm massive screws from B & Q. The ones they mark for mounting
    windows and doors onto so they look like good candidates.

I would have gone for 10mm or 12mm x 120mm deep screws but i dont have a drill
    bit thats that long or that wide. The AV mount looks like you could stick a 12mm bolt
    through it before it would stop...

Quality!

5. mucca_D

mucca_D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +522
  6. samjet

samjet
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    seeing all this worry about wall fixing plasma's i might set up a nice little company offering a fixing service

seems like a nice little earner :D :D

in all seriouness though its good to see people taking such care over wall fixing of plasma's - shame the same consideration does not go into hanging baskets :D when watered they weigh quite a bit more :eek:

7. jtf

jtf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    with all this talk of wall mounting nobody ever seems to say how to connect up the power cables and keep it all hidden. i take it not everybody uses extension leads going off to sockets

8. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    I tell you what guys, try setting up a custom install business! Then you too canbe on the side of the devil with me! And when someone says to you, 'it's only worth £50 to mount a plasma' you can tell them about how much the tools, the car, the pertol and your children's food costs, and why this service is uneconomic on it's own, as it would be about £200, and nobody will pay.

9. cebs_uk

cebs_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +406
    Hi,

I just drilled a hole that would be hidden by the plasma for the outputs and took the wires through the inside of the wall, down through the floor and then back up to the correct point behind the skirting board to my control point.

If you can't get under your floor just take the cable out from another hole that you can hide something in front of.

Cebs

10. jtf

jtf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    so what you are saying cebs is just extend the cable and then plug it into the closest socket

11. suniil

suniil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +402
    Mine is on wall for last 1 month. I've removed the plasterboard and replaced with MDF of same size, plastered with fillers and painted. This took around 4 hours and even myself applied all my strength on wall fixing (RS100). All cables pulled thru a hole in skirting and kept a thread for future use

N2P