Mounting Plasma on Plasterboard

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by BoomBoom, Sep 28, 2004.

1. BoomBoom

BoomBoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I thought my walls were stud walls but I cannot actually find the studs. I have used my detector...nothing...I even drilled lots of little hole and nothing. The section of wall is probably about 5/6 Foot wide and only appear to have supports at either side. It appears that between the plasterboard layers is cardboard every 1/2 inch horizontally and vertically.

I was looking in B & Q and saw some butterfly clips which can hold up to 256 pounds, they are quite substantial. I really wanted to mount it on the wall but am duly concerted about how long it would stay up there when mounted just on the plasterboard. If the plasterboard was installed well what does everyone think of this idea? (oh I cannot wait for the responses...'you are mad' 'don't do it' :laugh: ) has anyone actually done it and how long has it stayed on the wall?

I have checked my insurance cover and I will be covered if it does fall...but I would rather it didn't.

Thanks,

Boom

2. seafoodmix

seafoodmix
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    your walls could be just drylined, which could be plaster board stuck onto the blockwork with dabs on plaster. You need a long fixing that goes thru the small gap and into the blockwork.

3. BoomBoom

BoomBoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    that is what I thought at some point but they are not. It is plasterboard throughout.

Boom

4. marcm

marcm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just did some demolition on my bathroom walls ( the lengths we go to to get answers!! joke) I found that I had what looked like an eggbox type construction. Plasterboard on the outside with criss crosses of Card to give strength. This was all through the wall with no batten. My house is of early / mid sixties construction. The wall was not very thick either approx 3 inches.
    Depending what is behind, whether it is solid wall or another room, I would be very dubious about putting it up. Thats just me mr cautious!