1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mounting Plasma above Fire

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Blingtastic, Oct 31, 2004.

1. Blingtastic

Blingtastic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello to all you pop pickers out there.

I'm new to this forum and looking for some info on mounting a plasma above a gas fire!!!!

Any ideas would be much appreciated as i don't want to go and buy the new plasma & fire and then find out it can't or shouldn't be done.

Cheers

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    How hot and how high will it end up. Cooking your plasma is unlikely to be a serious problem unless your wall is hot to the touch, but have a search for 'plasma mounting height' type threads, remember it's a telly not a picture.

3. moku

moku
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  4. moku

moku
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  5. Blingtastic

Blingtastic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Excellent link Moku. That's decided then. The only problem i have now is deciding which 42" Plasma to buy. I'm also going to buy a cinema system to go with it so any ideas.
    Budget of around £3k

6. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Is that for the screen or the whole system? 3k would cover a hi def screen, but not sound as well, but with a SD screen, you'd get 1/2 way reasonable surround sound too.

7. moku

moku
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Blingtastic,

A budget of £3K should get you the following:

1. Panasonic 42" Plasma (PWD6) - £1580 including delivery & Free Input Board from AV-Sales : (http://www.av-sales.co.uk/plasma/html/panasonic_th-42pwd6_plasma.html)

2. Slimline or flat wall mount - £125 (http://www.av-sales.co.uk/plasma/html/slimline_tilting_plasma_wall_m.html)

3. Yamaha DSP-AX750SE AV Receiver £400 inc delivery from Digital Direct UK (http://www.digitaldirectuk.com/products_moreinfo3/index.asp?product_id=5102

The rest of the stuff that you need depends on what equipment you've already got or will be buying. Eg, if you have or will be buying a dvd or dvdr with component out, then you will need to get some component cable etc.

The best connectivity to your plasma will be all equipments connected to the AX750SE and then have just one component lead from AX750SE to the plasma. The AX750SE is an upconverter and therefore able to convert signals fed into it and then output to the plasma.

You will also need to buy some good surround speakers if you haven't already got them, likewise some good cables such as scart leads (QED or Van Damme), component cables (from Mark Grant), audio cables (from Mark Grant) etc. What cables you get will depend on equipments you intend to connect to the plasma.

If you already have or will be getting a Sky+, then you will have 2 options in terms of connection to the plasma.

1. Sky+ scart out > JS scart/vga converter > plasma vga input OR

2. Daisy chain the sky+ > dvdr such as the panny DMR-E55 or DMR-E85 > AX750SE. This will be my preferred option because its less expensive cables to buy and do away with scart/vga converter. The savings could go towards the dvdr.

Depending on what equipment you've already got, the budget of £3K may be enough, but if you are starting from the scratch, then the £3k may not get you all the stuff you need. In the end it will be money well spent with many years enjoyment.

Welcome to the mind-boggling hobby of Plasma ownership but its a hoppby worth pursuing. :thumbsup:

8. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    And just to further complicate ( I love that) another £50 on the amp will get you the Onkyo 602, upconverting and 2 zones of audio and video, so you can independently switch your sources to the LCD in the kitchen or bedroom, as well as running your plasma at optimum video quality with a 1 cable connection. With either amp you don't need a video board, but you'll need a RGB to component video converter, I'm sure you could negociate one instead of a board.

9. Blingtastic

Blingtastic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanyou very much for all the information.
    This is alot harder than i originally thought and it looks like i'll need to spend a little more time getting things sorted out.
    Iv'e already run the cables (hidden)around the room for surround etc and also run cables into the kitchen and upstairs for additional screens.
    I'm building a false wall (chimney breast) for the Plasma so all cables will be hidden inside.
    I really want to see some Plasmas in action so to speak. Any really good shops in Scotland?? Have been to the local curries etc but not impressed at all with the picture quality and the service. To be frank they don't have a flippin clue.

Cheers for the help in adavance.

10. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    You are in luck, me old mate! www.tmfsolutions.co.uk ask for Joe, he is the man in Scotland, good prices, loads of info, demo, system design, he will sort you out.

11. Blingtastic

Blingtastic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for that MAW.

I've e-mailed Joe to get some more info and where he is located.

Do you know of anyone in the Edinburgh area. Richard Sounds is in the area but i keep reading bad reports. WHY???

12. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Joe is Edinburgh, richers are cheap and cheerful, many of their lines are out of date, but they advertise this, mostly they are a legit and well intending shop. Got to bear in mind their philosophy is pile it high and sell it cheap, but they are not ashamed of this, why should they be? If you really need to know something, see demos, and get some service, Joe is your man.

13. Blingtastic

Blingtastic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Joe it is then. Hopefully he will get in touch soon.

I'm really after a 42" silver plasma with small unobtrousive surround speakers but really good quality. The budget can be stretched if need be.(aslong as the wife approves)
    What Panasonic models come in the silver at the moment and do i have to stay with panasonic speakers and cinema system or is it ok to chop and change manufacturers.

Cheers

14. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
  15. Blingtastic

Blingtastic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What's the difference between the Panny TH-42PW7B & the TH-42PHD7???

16. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    The pw7 is 852x480, the PHD7 is 1024x768, different internal electronics too, much better on the hi res. No solarization, banding, arguably the best 43" on the market. Only a PDP43MXE1 can compete.

17. Venger

Venger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just bought the PW7 (from AV sales) and mounted it above a working gas fire. No probs so far. I'm also awaiting a Sony DAV LF1 surround sounds kit which i get this week. That was 1K. Total package 3.5K (with terminal boards and cabling).

18. Blingtastic

Blingtastic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    MAW,
    Is it worh the extra grand or so though. To be honest I'll be using it mainly for TV and the odd DVD at the moment. SKY+ Eventually. Will i notice the difference in day to day viewing??
    I must admit i do like good quality gear and will pay the extra dosh for it but it must be worth it.
    Let me know what anybody thinks on this.

L8r

19. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Trust me it's worth it if yoy can afford it. Actually availability is a bit of an issue at the moment, but time will cure that, should be only a week away now. If you are strapped for cash, the SD is your man, but every part of the HD is better, and better again if you end up going with a scaler in future

20. Blingtastic

Blingtastic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll take your word for that.
    If i do order this one, which home cinema system,speakers,amps,cables,boards etc would suit this package. Say another grand on top.

L8r