Mounting on Plasterboard

nheather

Distinguished Member
Now that I have my Pio downstairs, going to be mounting my Pany 42" Panel (about 32Kg) in the loft room.

The wall is an end wall (gable) with plasterboard finish.

Construction is

Brick outside
Cavity
Grey breeze block (same thickness as brick, not the wide ones)
Daubs of plasterboard cement
Plasterboard (probably 9mm)

I suspect the plasterboard is the insulated stuff (with silver foil backing) because that is what was used elsewhere in the loft extension.

Between the visible surface of the plasterboard and the breeze block is about 62mm, making the gap about 53mm (50mm if they have used 12mm board).

The daubs seem quite infrequent so I'd be very lucky to hit one for each of the fixings.

So was wondering wondering what the best way to fix the mount to the wall. As I see it there are two options

(i) Use coach screws into the breeze blocks (screwfix do them in 120mm and 160mm lengths). I would probably use some tubing (62 mm long) around the screw to stop the plasterboard from being compressed into the gap. My concern is that the panel will be hanging on screws sticking 60-70mm out of the wall (breeze blocks) so would tel tend to bend downwards, or would be pressed against the plasterboard stop that?

(ii) Use cavity wall fittings. I'm pretty sure these would hold the mount and display on the plasterboard without any problem - my worry is whether the plasterboard would saty on the daubs.

Anyone with any experience or opinions?

Cheers,

Nigel

Last edited:

Member252055

Hi

If it were me I would cut away the plasterboard where you want the bracket and attach a couple of 50mm battons to the breezeblock and attach the bracket to those. This is by far the safest way.

The tubes idea wouldn't work as, ideally, you need the tubes to be a larger diameter than the hole so that the fixing clamps the plasterboard against the tube like a spacer. You can't do this because you wouldn't be able to get the tubes in from behind.

Hope this helps

Regards
Graham

miss_dippy

Standard Member
Hi

If it were me I would cut away the plasterboard where you want the bracket and attach a couple of 50mm battons to the breezeblock and attach the bracket to those. This is by far the safest way.

The tubes idea wouldn't work as, ideally, you need the tubes to be a larger diameter than the hole so that the fixing clamps the plasterboard against the tube like a spacer. You can't do this because you wouldn't be able to get the tubes in from behind.

Hope this helps

Regards
Graham

Hi Graham,

I have just bought a Samsung le32b450 and need to mount it flush to a wall.

I am thinking of buying this:

M-Form - 21" to 37" VESA LCD Bracket

It is a plasterboard wall (with struts attached to the wall). Does it come with screws to fit into the wall as it doesnt look like it from the pdf on your website? Also, how big a gap will there be between the TV and wall to put the power cable and hdmi cable into the back ot the TV. It seems very slim, will there be space?

Many thanks

nheather

Distinguished Member
Might look into the batton idea.

That wasn't what I was thinking of. I was thinking of a hole in the plasterboard the same size as tube diameter so the tube will pass through. The tube would be cut to be exactly the same as

Gap + Plasterboard thickness (maybe 1mm less)

So when you tighten up the coach bolts the mount will fit hard against the plasterboard but the tubes will stop the screws from crushing the plasterboard into the gap.

That would work in principle and I'd be more than happy is the gap were only 20-25mm but at 50mm+ I'm not so sure about the moment on the bolt.

Perhaps 4 bolts like this to ensure that the mount can't come off the wall and a number of plasterboard fixings to hold the mount on the plasterboard.

Cheers,

Nigel

Last edited:

Watty1974

Standard Member
Nigel,

I have exactly the same dilemma, I'm fitting a Sony 40" on Thursday on exactly the same type of wall and i just don't know which way to go, i also think the tube system will work on paper, in fact i was going to pick some tube up tomorrow, also not to sure on which Type of fixing to go for? Any advice would be much appreciated....:smashin:

Member252055

Hi Miss Dippy

That bracket will fit your TV and give you 22mm of gap plus the recess in the rear of the TV for your cables. If you go for this bracket and find you need more depth then our fit-rite guarantee entitles you to extra spacers and longer fixings FOC. All you need to do is call us with your requirements.

Hope this helps

Regards
Graham

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom