Mounting on Ceiling : Practical Detail (not fixings)

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Heebson, Aug 24, 2006.

1. Heebson

Heebson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good news first - I found a joist for my screen in the perfect place :clap:

Now, I go to mount the PJ, I realise that I have some practical questions - and not what fixings to use.

I have a Optoma HD72i.

a) does one calculate the exact distance from the screen and central axis for the lens - or do you simply put the mount on, switch it on, move around until it's spot on the screen then mark the holes?

b) I've read that I should avoid any zoom - however, this seems to be manual/optical on the PJ, so not sure why this would be a prob?

c) The zoom is a wheel (with a raised ridge in the middle) with +/- either side. Depending on the answer to (b), should I be pushing it fully one way or the other - or trying to judge dead-centre (there is no mark and the ridge is wide)?

Thanks,
    Heeb.

2. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,065
    You can do the latter or you can roughly calculate the throw, the zoom will take care of the rest assuming the throw has been calculated properly.

I've never heard of this, you will be okay using zoom.

Doesnt matter, just use what is required from A above.

Also moved to projectors :cool:

3. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,054
    what I did with my old AE100 when making my DIY mount:

1) check alignment L/R. Most likely you want to line the centre of the screen with the centre of the lens. So measure however you can - I marked a line over the screen, then using a square to get a perpendicular I projected that line out. That gives you the line the lens will need to be on

2) go to somewhere like projectorcentral.com where you can work out the throw on your projector. From the size of the image you'll want you'll get the distance your PJ needs to be from the screen (this will be distance from the lens)

Then I just marked this lightly on the ceiling so I could put the lens anywhere within that (with the lens on the line from (1)), and the zoom would deal with the rest.

3) Then work out height. check your PJ specs on where it projects. Eg my AE100 projects about 10cm below the lens center. So to not have any keystone I needed the centre of the lens to be 10cm lower than the top of my screen (as the PJ was upside down). If you have lens shift, then this isn't too much bother.

4) Then I just knocked up a quick mount. MDF board on the ceiling to reach the nearest joists, then a bit of 2x2 for the centre column, with another bit of MDF screwed into it with a big screw for the PJ to attach to. Work out where the holes need to be, drill and then attach it all up.

It really isn't that difficult if a muppet like me can do it. Worst case just pull the mount down and try again - only about £5 worth of wood from B&Q