Mounting LCD in/around existing chimney-breast recess

hereharehere

Standard Member
Hello all. Now that my crafty wait for biggish LCDs to plummet in price is over, I'm faced with a wall-mounting problem that I haven't found addressed in this finest of forums.
A few years back, we rashly had a deep hole scooped out of our sitting-room chimney breast to accommodate a 24" CRT (it's very nearly flush-fit), along with space below for a/v equipment - I've been trying to upload/attach some photos of this, but so far without success.:suicide: (Will try again when I can face it.)
The plasterboard-walled recess incorporates a couple of power outlets and an RF aerial socket, so it was a fairly neat solution (until I went down the 5.1 route, and ended up with speaker cable everywhere).
So... has anyone got any ideas how I might safely mount a 37" LCD (I'm thinking of the Hannspree XV37, which is getting a good press here) in the space? (Which is to say, across it - I'd guess it's around two-thirds the width of a 37" LCD)
The main problem would appear to be that there's nothing but air where I imagine I'd want to be attaching a bracket...

hereharehere

Standard Member
Well - here are the photos (awful-quality phone-camera jobs, in keeping with the domestic shambles depicted):

DSC06621.jpg

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t182/timmoore/DSC06622.jpg

lilox

Standard Member
I guess you have several options,

you could brick it up and mount proud

or you could brick out the back and put a big wooden block in to hold your brackets and cover with plasterboard and skim

or maybe try and get a ceiling mount bracket to sit in there, but that will look pretty bad :)

you have some interesting things on your speakers also :D

hereharehere

Standard Member
Thanks for that. Not sure I can face bricking the whole thing up - prefer the idea of bricking the back in, with a kind of recessed mount on a wooden block as you suggest. A bit neater.
Yeah, having looked at some of the unbelievably swish set-ups in this forum, I do feel a bit bad having all that guff piled up on the speakers (that's actually some daft filigree box my wife put there to hold our remotes), and speaker cable everywhere.
Still - I'll be happy when it's done. Waiting to install: a Panasonic SA-XR10 (25 quid from eBay), new Yamaha 5.1 NSP110 speakers & sub (69 quid from Hughes Direct)... and with an LG upscaling DVD recorder/VCR combi (wife insists we keep all those VHS kids' tapes) for 159 quid and the Hannspree to come (for around £440, hopefully) I'll have a decent set-up for two parts of knack-all (not forgetting the old Humax 8000-T, which is still doing sterling service).

A

achrys

number one rule.

Keep the wife away from any av equipment and installation. You'll end up with silly things on your speakers. Next she will probably hang a lace thingy over the screen so it matches the curtains! Remind her that you do not get involved with how the kitchen worktops are filled/managed, so tell her to stay away from the home cinema set up! lol

sorry!

hereharehere

Standard Member
Well, you're right. But then again, I do get involved in the kitchen worktops...
Also, I've just noticed which particular "interesting" on-top-of-speaker object lilox was referring to in his post. ie: the one above the centre. All I can say is: it's not what you think. It's just a big purple thumb. Long story...:cool:

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN95B 4K QLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom