1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

mounting hs1 on ceiling

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by micks_address, Jun 9, 2003.

1. micks_address

micks_address

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +206
    hi folks -

thinking of ceiling mounting my hs1 and would appreciate it if anyone has any pictures of their hs1 ceiling mounted. I've seen the threads on reversing the picture etc. One question i have is the power supply cord. Do i need to get a longer one when i mount the pj? What distance do i need to have the pj from the ceiling? I'm projecting onto a wall.

Cheers,
    Mick

2. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Loads of such info here .

:D

3. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Kramer........;)

Micks_address,

Searching on the forum is the standard way of finding out the basics, just to start you off take a look here for details on setting up your projector relative to you screen, and here for details on homemade mounts and how to attach your projector.

Sean G.

4. micks_address

micks_address

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +206
    thanks for the direction towards the searh enigne lads - i did start there but couldn't find any pictures of hs1's mounted so thats why i posted to see if anyone had any pictures up yet...

5. Gavin_Hall

Gavin_Hall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    There are quiet a few threads on ceiling mounting a Sony HS-1, I've done mine :) Take a look here

It's been up since End August last year and so far no problems what so ever :)

cheers

Gavin

6. micks_address

micks_address

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +206
    Cool Gavin - thanks for that - the post didn't come up in the search i did last night on ceiling+mount+hs1. Guess i was being a little too specific. If i may ask gavin - what height is you projector from the ground? The ceiling i'm going to mount on is steppeS down - so i'd say its about 6,5 foot as opposed to the rest of the room which is 8 foot heigh. Do you have to use much vertical keystone correction or is it an issue? The other question i have is on cabling - i think i'm ok with the video feed but the power cable will be far too short. I suppose it'd be ok to just cut the power lead and extend it using wire joiners etc. I'm definetely going to give it a go as i'm sick of not being able to put my feet up on the coffee table in the room while i watch films :)

Only thing i'd be concerned about would be the weight on the plastic mount but if yours is still there then i'll take that as a good qa test!

Cheers for the link Gavin

Mick

7. Gavin_Hall

Gavin_Hall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    Mick,

As it happens my rooms steps down as well. The part of the ceiling where the projector mounts is lower than the main ceiling where the screen is housed. More by luck than judgement I don't need to use any keystone correction, just remember the projector lense is offset from the centre, you need to take this into account with finding a suitable mounting position :)

I had the same problem with the power chord. I simply cut it and extended the cabling with normal power cable from B&Q. Works a treat :)

The plastic housing is fine with my projector, I regularly check it and so far no signs of any stress at all. What sort of mount are you going to build?

Have fun and if you need any further help I'm here :smashin:

cheers

Gavin

8. calscot

calscot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Here's my thread here.

Cheers,
    Cal.

9. micks_address

micks_address

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +206
    going to try what you did gavin - looks like the job i'm after. I'll have to investigate the ceiling to see where the joints are etc.. Do you remember off hand if the treaded bar you used was 7 mill?

10. Gavin_Hall

Gavin_Hall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    I think 7mm was the size (I think M7 rod = 7mm in size), it was slightly too large to fit, I had to flatten two sides to make it fit.

Gavin

11. micks_address

micks_address

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +206
    Hey Gavin -

Just wondering how you finally attached the bracket that's holding the pj to the ceiling? I have to get up the attic to investigate whats up there. Don't know how the step down is done in the ceiling....

Thanks,
    Mick

12. Gavin_Hall

Gavin_Hall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    I was lucky, I punched a hole into the ceiling and attached the rod to a 90 degree bracket, that in turn attached to a joist.

Sort of like this:-

.....JJ..........B
    .....JJ--------I---
    .....JJ|.........I
    .....JJ|.........I
    .....JJ|.........I
    .....JJ..........I
    ccccccccccccIcccccccccccccccccc
    ..................I
    ..................I
    ..................I
    ..................I
    ...........PPPPPPP
    ...........PPPPPPP

Where JJ = Joists
    I = Threaded Rod
    B= Bolt holding rod to right-angled bracket
    c = ceiling
    P = Projector
    | & - = Bracket

Does that make any sense?

Gavin

13. micks_address

micks_address

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +206
    Well i finally got the projector ceiling mounted last night. Everything went according to plan.

One slight dissapointment is that i have to use some of the projectors vertical keystone correction to get a straight picture on the wall. I'd have liked not to as there's some annoying lightspill on the sides.

I don't think i could really suspend the pj any lower or i'd be bumping my head off it. I think maybe my couch is a little on the low side. Maybe if i rasied that i could raise the picture and square it off. At the moment if i squared the picture then the bottom of a widescreen film would be above my eye level so i dont think thats right!

Anyway i'm definetely happier that the pj's up off the coffee table - the room now as a lot more options...

Cheers for all the help and advice.
    Mick