1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mounting Height?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Orlando, Feb 3, 2004.

1. Orlando

Orlando

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I am currently thinking of buying a Hitachi 42 PD3000. I would like to mount it above my fireplace, but the mantle is higher than average.
    Could anyone (maybe MAW) as he fits them, give me an idea of the correct mounting height to the bottom of the screen.
    Also I have quite a small lounge of about 14"x13", is this big enough for a 42" plasma?
    Many thanks in anticipation.

2. Dave777

Dave777

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    My 42PD3000 is 38 inches high (the bottom of it) on a wall 12 feet across (I hope yours is 13 feet not inches!!!) and I sit about 9 feet away from it. For me this is perfect. I spent ages measuring eye heights and sofa heights. You could cut a big bit of cardboard the size of the plasma and stick it on the wall and try it out. There have been threads in the past about this too.

HTH

Dave

3. nealgs

nealgs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Orlando,

Welcome to the Forums :)

Our panel is relatively high as it is situated above were the fireplace would be (no fire there at present, but was compromise with wife :) )

It's appx 49"-50" to bottom of plasma, in a room that's about 5.5m*4m with us sitting around between 9' and 11' feet or so.

It probably could of come down a few inches, but the distance we sit and the angle once sitting isn't to bad really

regards
    Gary

4. daveb975

daveb975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +240
    I have my plasma installed so that the bottom is approx 45" from the floor. I sit no more than 11 feet from it.

The installer who did the job thought that I was mad to have it that high - many prefer to have it mounted at the height of a 'normal' TV.

I have been using it at that height for a month, and would not want to bring it down any lower, but everyone has different opinions on this.

Check out the 'Get your plasmas out for the Lads' thread to get an idea of how other members have set up their screens.

You need to consider how the room will look once the screen is up as well - a wall mounted plasma can look pretty ridiculous at 'normal' TV height. If you decide you want the plasma low, you may be better advised to get a desk stand rather than a wall mount.

5. franc

franc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Just measured my 37" and from the floor to the bottom of the screen is 27".
    I understand that compromises have to be made in certain situations but I would never mount it above a fire place. Surely ones eyeline should be central to the screen for optimum viewing?
    Then again, watching in bed and not not having to crane ones neck sounds like a real plus point for mounting it near the ceiling! :D

regards FRANC

6. itcosthowmuch

itcosthowmuch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    My panny measures 36" from floor to bottom of screen, with a viewing distance of approx. 14'. I don't think I would want it any higher! As many previous posts have said ideally you'd want it at your eye level when you are sitting down. That said many are happy with theirs above the mantel.

Each to their own! :smoke:

M

7. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    orlando, if you do a search on "what height" within this forum you will find quite a lot of posts which will help and give you specific heights people have used...but as they all said, it is very personal...maybe you should use the cardboard template trick to get and idea of the size and location?

JJ

8. mikeq

mikeq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mine is fairly high above the mantle.

And to be honest when you are sitting in the sofa opposite you don't sit bolt upright, the back of the sofa slopes. So when sitting naturally on the sofa your line of sight is naturally sloping upwards anyway and probably coincides with the centre of the screen.

I don't find any problems with this.

9. nealgs

nealgs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    a seconded there for mikeq :) :smashin: same situation we have, angle of settee back means you aren't actually sat upright, but inclined back a good few degrees.

Gary

10. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,015
    bottom of mine is 116cm from floor. Thats probably a little high, and it could do with being about 20cm lower, but its not too bad.

I wish I'd done the cardboard template thing though, rather than listen to the wife, who clearly thought she was mounting a picture frame :)

11. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    there are brackets that lower the top of the screen by 15 degrees. angling it down.

12. mikeq

mikeq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mine is 54" (137cm) from floor to bottom of plasma, screen is also tilted down.

I sit about 7-8 feet away from it.

Attached Files:

13. Orlando

Orlando

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Mikeq,
    Mine would be the same height as yours, I could probably get it down to 50" at a push, but then not sure where the center speaker will go?
    Do you find this height OK? or in a perfect world would you have it lower if you could?
    I'm also considering standing it on a cabinet as the misses isn't convinced on the height issue.

14. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After being handed the brouchure for spectral recently It's an option worth considering there are some truly outstanding designs. They cost a bit more than a wall bracket though, but so does furniture.

15. stormy69

stormy69
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My panny6 shown in the other thread is 50" from the floor, although I've been cautious and bought a tilt bracket just in case I get any neck problems.

I'll be able to test it out properly soon, once I get a settee!

16. mikeq

mikeq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The height is perfect, wouldn't have it any lower. As I mentioned above when in the seat opposite it I do not have to tilt my head at all because of the sloping back of the sofa.

If it was lower I would have to physically tilt my head forwards.

Anyone that has seen it have not complained about the height, and they are not just being polite, my dad would be the first to complain about it if it was.

Mike

17. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,015
    you know, a high screen is probably good for your posture. At least you are not slumping forward watching the TV on the floor.

18. bluebear

bluebear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My Panny 42", is mounted 50" from the ground above my fireplace.
    I am viewing it from about 10 feet away and I am very happy with its position.
    I don't get any neck strain problems.
    My Fire surround is removable, so I can get at the interface PCB under the Panny if needed, also I got a 5" gap between the Panny and the top of the Fire surround.

The best possible location is if you sit about 12 feet away from the screen, this give the best possible picture quality, but the height is just right at 50" at both 10 or 12 feet.
    I hope I will ONE day feed the Panny from a HDTV source and I can sit only 6/8 feet away...

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Bluebear.
    :cool:

19. woodgaz

woodgaz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mike Q,

Just looking at your pic there it looks like you have a set of Orb speakers... or are they Gallos?
    Interested to know how you find them and if you got stung in duty/VAT.
    What amp do you have driving them?
    Do you find the centre powerful enough as a 'single' sphere - they have advised I may need to go for the MOd2 as a centre.
    Looks like a nice setup.