1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mounting heatsink of a Intel P4???

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Peter O Sullivan, Oct 1, 2003.

1. Peter O Sullivan

Peter O Sullivan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In the middle of putting my first HTPC together. I have got some very crappy instruction manuals. Just a quick question : the black tape that is on the bottom of the heat sink, am i meant to take it off or leave it on? Is this meant to be the adhesive that sticks on to the cpu or is there adhesive underneath the black tape. I heard some of them have a film that is meant to removed before use. It is not much bigger in area than the cpu
    I am sure someone knows.
    This is doing my head in. Too many cables and crap all over the place. First time building a PC iswell.

Anyway
    Thanks for any help

Its a P4 2.4Ghz

2. H4r7y

H4r7y

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hia, first off its not tape on the cooler and it isnt meant to attach it to the cpu. its thermal compound which will help cool the cpu basically so it needs to be there.
    have a look and see if there is a top layer to it, try to peal a corner and if it doesnt look like its going to move then leave it on and mount it on the cpu.
    hope this makes sense

:smashin:

3. Peter O Sullivan

Peter O Sullivan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I left it on and it hasn't seized up yet so it must of been that thermal compound.
    Cheers