1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mounting hard drives on rubber washers..

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by Gary Lightfoot, Sep 9, 2004.

1. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,955
    Hi all,

I've just installed some hard drives inside a UVEM Claritus case, and they screw to the floor of the case. It might be my imagination, but being solid mounted like that seems to make them sound noisyer than they should be - they're Seagate Baracudas which are pretty much silent in my other pcs.

I was thinking of using some felt or rubber washers to place between the drive and floor of the case. The drives get very hot, so do you think this would cause more problems by reducing the heat transfer from the drive to the case (other than from the metal screws)?

TIA

Gary.

2. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    I had a similar problem when I fitted some samsung drives to the floor of my strata (pre-copyright infringement claritas). I think any time you couple something which vibrates like a disk does to a large aluminium box it's gonna cause problems. My solution in the end was to ditch the samsungs (which were noisy any way) and mount a single seagate above the optical drive on a piece of foam. If you've got a couple of drives this isn't an option so might be worth looking for some sorbothane sheets to put between the drives and the floor of the case, these are meant to be terrific at stopping the transmission of vibration. screws would have to go though as the stuff is a good 5-10mm thick. Maybe try glueing the sorbothane in place and velcroing the drives to it, as long as the PC isn't moved much it would be fine.

Owain

3. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,955
    Three drives are going in there, so I need to mount two of them on the floor. I can even glue the drives to washers, and glue the washers to the base (With mini cable ties to prevent movement if necessary), but wonder if the lack of heat transfer will have an advers affect on the drives.

Any more thoughts on that? The drives get almost too hot to touch, so I wonder how critical heat transfer is.

Gary.

4. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Yeah, I know what you mean, I think it'll come down to this: if the drives are in contact with the case enough to transfer heat they will also transfer noise. Anything (grommets, washers, sorbothane) which isolates the noise will probably stop the heat from conducting to the case.

What sort of temps do they run at (AFAIK most seagates can be monitored via MBM or similar). It may be a quieter solution to isolate them and have a low RPM fan blowing over them to cool them a bit. Its amazing the difference a bit of air makes, when I was setting up my media server the RAID card had to run all 4 drives continuously for about 8 hours, without any cooling they became scarily hot, I rigged up a single fan to push a bit of air over them and within minutes they were barely warm.

If the temps are too high when you measure them I'd suggest the quietest way to sort your problem out would be to mount the bottom two on sorbothane sheets, have a single quiet fan running at 5v (a Panaflo or similar) blowing along the long axis of the drives. These cases can get quite hot (esp with quiet PSUs/CPU fans) so if you're adding extra drives a bit of extra ventilation would probably be a good idea. What's the spec of the rest of the setup?

Owain

5. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,955
    Hi Owain,

Thanks for your input again.

The CPU is an AMD 3200+ 400fsb on a PCChips mobo (848ALU) with a Radeon 9600 non pro graphics card. It's using 500meg Ram (in 1 slot). It'll probably use a Trust soundcard for the optical output, though it's currently running a USB sound 'card' for 5.1 via optical due to another problem I had (think I've cured - may open a nother thread tho). It's for Hi Def playback as well as DVD stuff.

I'm using the ATX version, not MATX due to a limited number of 400fsb MATX boards availaible at the mo.

I think the additional fan may be a good idea. The case is going in a cupboard (I'm building it for a friend), which will have adequate ventilation as far as I know, but another fan may be a good idea. I'll see how noisy it all is when it's up and running in situ, and see how the temps are.

Drive temps when mounted directly on the floor are in the low 40c range (41 - 43), but when sat on top of the optical drive, it can be in the 50s. Feels hotter than that though...

Gary.

6. Clamicpo1

Clamicpo1
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +265
    Hi Gary, you can get HDD mounting plates for the case that are isolated with rubber grommets, I think they are about £20.

Charlie

7. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    50's seems ok for the temps, I wouldn't worry about that. I'd forgotten about those mounting plates, rod (from stands unique) emailed me about them when I was sorting out the teething problems with mine. Not sure what the availablity of sorbothane sheets is in this country (very cheap in the US) so they may work out cheaper.

Owain

8. andy572

andy572
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I'm afraid that I have no numbers (temps) to offer for the drives; but I've been running an old IBM IDE drive, an SATA Samsung Spinpoint and a Pioneer 105 DVD-R/W drive in an Antec Sonata case, since March.

On installation, I mounted each of the drives using the grommets provided with the case and so far, have only used the 'stock' Athlon heatsink-fan combo and rear-mounted 120mm fan that is included with the Sonata.

As I said, I can't provide any numbers; but I haven't had a problem with any of the drives.

Just in case that's of some use... :)

9. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,955
    Thanks for the help.

I didn't get any grommets with my case, but that suggests that it might be OK to do that, or as Owain suggests, the sorbathane sheets.

We'll see what it sounds like as it is, then address any sound issues if they need to be. I'm hoping the cabinet will keep the sound down. :)

Gary.

10. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,172
  11. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,955
    I don't think there will be enough room for it, but I'd be interested in how it performs.

Gary.

12. jelly

jelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    hi chaps ive bought one of thesehttp://www.specialtech.co.uk/spshop/customer/product.php?productid=504&cat=&page=&xid=3ef9c9dae3586225d4d3628e39829105 and it has a temp moniter for the hdd cpu and system but im not too sure where to put the thermo sensors for best performance mobo is a MSI K8T NEO with a 3000 GIG 64 BIT PRO thanks any help will be most welcome

13. drummerjohn

drummerjohn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +184
    If you start enclosing your HD in foam or rubber etc you will kill your HD. Hard drives need room around them to breathe and ideally air movement.

Sky+ boxes are HD killers - an enclosed HD with very little air movement.

I've seen some things posted here that will undoubtedly half the life of your hard drive.

Hard drives stay quieter for longer if kept cool.

14. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Hi Rob, thats not bad for a big sheet of sorbothane, if you're after smaller amounts theres a guy on silentpcreview who has previously offered to send them from the US, he'll do 2 sheets of 4"x4" for £15, which should be plenty to do two drives. link: http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?t=12367&highlight=sorbothane+uk

@drummerjohn, agreed, wrapping drives in rubber might be a bit much in terms of heat but just mounting them on rubber sheets should be fine.