Mounting Floorstanders on Stands!

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Sunday Ironfoot, Jul 31, 2003.

1. Sunday Ironfoot

Sunday Ironfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looking at the Mission 782SE's they do seem a little short (80cm) and the tweeter may be a little low for my seating position.

Is it possible to buy short speaker stands for elevating short floorstanding speakers? I'm asking this because my dad used to own some older floorstander Mission speakers that came with short stands, they were mission stands and were meant/designed to be used together. Has speaker design philosophy simply changed so that floorstanders must always be placed on the floor?

What are the problems with doing this? Will it effect the sound in any way? Anywhere I can buy short stands? Thanks!

2. Dean

Dean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +265
    Placing floorstanders on stand mount stands will be way too high. The HF unit should be at ear height, are you seating in some umpire chair in your room?!;) I think there are isolation platforms available which you can place the Missions which would be much better.

3. Sunday Ironfoot

Sunday Ironfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, but these Mission are very short, the HF unit is way below ear level even when sitting in a standard arm chair. I only want to raise them about 20cm say.

An isolation platform may do the trick as you say, where can I find one?

Cheers!

4. rhinoman

rhinoman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I few years ago I had some 15cm stands (I think made by Target) which were under a pair of floor standers.

5. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +917
    By way of making myself feel better about having bought Atacama SE10 stands, let me suggest Atacama's SL series.

Click here for info. They do one that's 20cm high.

6. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
  7. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    They're probably designed to sound best as they are. Does the manual recommend a height for the tweeter?

8. Dean

Dean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +265
    I don't think the HF unit has to be exactly ear height, just roughly so he may not need isolation platform at all. Mission would have designed the 782SE's for a normal seated position which may not mean the HF unit has to be exactly ear height. But if he has to have isolation platforms I'd recommend Atacama or Target, but there are probably many other good choices as well.

9. CogPaul

CogPaul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Check out the Russ Andrews accessory website - they sell tortylyte?? stands custom built to your floorstanding speaker size - around £400 I seem to remember.

10. pwiles1968

pwiles1968

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    You could always use a couple of slabs under each speaker, paint them or cover them in cloth if the other half thinks it might clash with your decor, if you have a little more money visit a stone mason and get a couple of slate or even marble blocks made, this may also help with bass response.

11. Sunday Ironfoot

Sunday Ironfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Slabs maybe a good idea, thanks I'll consider them. As for the Russ Andrews Tortelyte, £400!! Yikes, I might as well spend an extra £400 on better speakers :p

12. Warpaint

Warpaint

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    I was under the impression that Mission designed their speakers with the bass unit and the tweeter inverted to optimise timing/phase information. So in their case the tweeter should be below listening height for optimum results.

13. ChrisNic

ChrisNic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +111
    Just a thought but I think Mission prefer the bass driver to be at hear height, hence thats why they are that way around. Just thinking that before you right them off for being too short or start planning stands for them give them a listen. They might suprise you...

14. Sunday Ironfoot

Sunday Ironfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't get me wrong, these speakers sounded fantastic when I auditioned them! However it was only a brief demo as I was demoing amps, I'll have to do a more thorough demo with speakers. Some reviews pointed out that the 782's lack of height caused problems with the sound (lack of verticle soundstage or something), so I'm just making sure before I potentially commit to these speakers.

If I was to get a centre speaker and sit it on my TV it would sit roughly 20cm higher than the tops of the Mission 782's, would this cause a problem considering I've read from some places that the front speakers and centre speaker should be roughly level?

Thanks for the input!

15. Sunday Ironfoot

Sunday Ironfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just checked with my local HIFI shop man. He says he uses the Mission 782's and has the same problem with heigth which he solves by using a couple of slabs to raise them a bit. Otherwise these speakers are great he says.

What type of concrete slabs should I use though, and where is the best place to get them from?

16. Dean

Dean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +265
    Not at all, I think you are taking this height thing a bit too seriously. I doubt many Home Theatres have the front three speakers, let alone all of them, exactly the same height. Roughly level implies a deviation of I'd say 30 cms so I think you're ok. Obviously with a TV, this implies the centre must be below or on top so unless you have a plasma or projector, you won't get them exactly the same height as your fronts. I use my 77C1 on top of my TV (probably around 20cm higher than my 773e's) and it sounds fantastic, though hopefully when I get a plasma I can buy a dedicated stand for it and wall mount the plasma.

17. Ricky27

Ricky27

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217