1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mounting Bipolars from the ceiling - positioning/angle advice?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Hallsy, Jan 25, 2005.

1. Hallsy

Hallsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I have a pair of Gale 3060B bipolars for the rear two in my 5.1 setup. I wanted to position them either side of the listening position, as advised by a few on here for best sound.
    Unfortunately there is a patio door to the right of my sofa so I can't mount them to a wall on this side. I bought some stands but the missus is not pleased asthetically, and also they are too unstable so will have to go back.
    I have heard of mounting them from the ceiling, and wondered about doing this myself, this way I could mount in line with the patio door, but from the ceiling.
    Would I be best to have them facing each other, but angled down slightly towards listening position? How far down from the ceiling would be an ideal height? This would also have advantages with cable routing as I would run them above the ceiling, then drop them down next to speakers.

2. the mechanic

the mechanic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Hi,

The ideal height for fitting di/bi-polars is usually 60-90 cm's above head height when seated according to most.
    The position is best flat against a side wall parallel to the listeners seating/head, (this is where I have mine fitted,but unfortunatley for you, there is a door in the way).
    I have read that if the speakers can only be fitted high up on the sidewalls then you can "angle" them slightly downwards to the listening position (keeping them parallel to the wall tho'). The design of di/bi-polar speakers is such that the soundwaves coming from them "wrap around" the seating position creating a diffused effect. If they are fitted to the ceiling,pointing directly to the floor I would'nt think they would be very effective at "surrounding" you ? ?
    If possible I would suggest if you can temporarily fit them in differing positions and listen for any improvements then pick the one that gives you the best sound.

Give it a go and let us know how you get on,

All the best,

Graham.

3. Hallsy

Hallsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Thanks for the reply.
    Yeah, I need to find a couple of tall mates to hold them for me whilst I sit and watch a film!!
    I was thinking of still keeping them parallel, as if they were mounted directly on the side walls, but was just wondering about the height issues really. I reckon seated ear height is about 1m, and with 2.2m ceilings (pretty sure) I would be bringing them down to about 1m above ear height, as then they would be just below coving, and probably look OK. I will have a play, but if I make some brackets I can play about with the angles to get the best sound. The other reason I thought about angling them down a little as the far left listening position (although not often used) would be almost under the left bipolar, so I wondered if the height would cause the sound to almost miss the listener?