1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mounting BG808 on a single Beam/RSJ?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Mark Ward, Feb 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Electrician/Builder is back with me today :) and last night I stood in the room and had another look at the possibility of above head height mounting.

So my question is...

How feasible is it to mount a BG808 on a single RSJ or Beam?

My BG801 with an 8ft Image would require the beam to be in a position that a window prohibits, but when I upgrade to a 10ft Picture (Probably BG808) I should *just* about be able to run a single 20ft RSJ or wooden beam across the room to secure it from.

Here is the floorplan, the screen will be on the end wall of the red section an the beam would have to run just to the left of the fireplace to miss the window opposite.

The precise final screen size will obviously be dependent on the position of the beam rather that the position of the beam being decided on the desired screen size.

If this is possible it'll certainly solve my floor positioning problems.

A wooden beam would obviously look nicer across this room but could a 22ft piece of wood take the weight without bowing?

I'd like to get the beam put in and power to it now, whilst I have the builders here if this is the way I'm going to go.

Thanks,

Mark.

2. Steve Bate

Steve Bate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Mark,

I know it's not directly comparable but when Roland put my 808 in it was bolted to 1 joist and this more than easily took the weight of the 808 and Roland swinging off it.

Remember that it is heavy but still lighter than your average 6' male. Would a 20' beam support you standing on it without bowing? I guess that depends on the width of it but if you're using reclaimed timber or an old railway sleeper type arrangement I'd say you'd be ok.

I'll leave a definitive answer to someone who knows what they're talking about :blush:

Steve

3. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Hi Steve

Thanks for your reply, it's encouring, however what concerns me the most is how using a single beam would affect the ability to adjust height of picture etc.

[Edit]The beam will have to go across the room. (therefore across the PJ). Did your joist go along he PJ or across it?

My room really does have some unique problems... There's really only 1 height the bottom of the screen can be, so changing the projected image height/angle from the beam is pretty essential.

Also.. When I first tried my BG801 at 11ft I was really happy with the picture (until I tried it at 7ft :)). If I settled for a lesser quality 10ft Image for now on the BG801 would the beam need to be in the same position once I go to a BG808?

Remember that my room is huge and the viewing distance will be further away than is a typical HT room.

Thanks,

Mark.

4. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    If you put an RSJ in could you not dress it up as a wooden joist? Make it nice and decorative?

5. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I guess so yes. There are already supports crossing the room tying the side walls together, however these are not designed to take a downward force. The extra RSJ will be at a different height an will cut across the room being very visible from here.

I'm now wondering how thin a 6.06M long RSJ could be to take the weight of the heaviest of CRT plus an extra 240lb's for me at it's centre.

Even though I could dress it up I can't help feeling painted black would probably be the least obtrusive.

Thanks,

Mark.

6. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I know now through converstaions with him that he is going with wires from the ceiling. But it is perfectly possible to hang from a single rsj asuming that it is strong enough. One for a builder/achitect really.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.