Mounting AV Amp Vertically

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by pulse2001, Sep 22, 2007.

1. pulse2001

pulse2001
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

Bit of a noob question here.

I've just moved house and I'm looking at getting a new AV Amp, either the Sony 5300 or the Onkyo 875.

The problem is I'm very limited on space - it wont fit into the built in wall cabinet (not enough depth) unless i turn the Amp on its side and position it so what was the top faces out into the room.
    There's no where else to put it in the room and the wife is getting in the way of me ripping out the cabinet or redesigning the whole room ;-)

So my question is has any one done this with either Amp, and will it run ok?
    I'm concerned about the heat, i understand the Onkyo especially runs v.hot, although i'm not sure about the Sony heat output.

Any advice appreciated.

Many thanks, Alex

2. james.miller

james.miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    dont do it. an amp worth its salt will be designed to run the way it sits. you can get away with runnig a 2 channel amp on its side, but a decent multi channel av amp that can sustain 600w + output, i woudlnt even chance it.

3. pulse2001

pulse2001
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply James,

Room redesign it is then :)

4. ianjm

ianjm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I've recently bought a new receiver (an SR605), but ran my old receiver on its side (with adequate ventilation) for upwards of a year without any problems.

Are there any technical reasons why you shouldn't run these beasts on their sides, or is it just a 'gut feeling'?

I don't think they don't contain any moving parts, do they? So what could be the issue if it stays cool?

5. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    the main issue will be the heat, although also the various parts will be attached in a way so that gravity wont affect them if its laying flat, i guess there could be potential for bits to fall off if its laid on its side......

on a cheaper AV amp that doesnt have a high consumption then the heat isnt likely to affect it too much, on a decent AV amp that gets close to its actual nominated output then heat WILL be a factor and if you put the amp on its side then it cant make decent use of the top grill and could suffer problems........for example a 130wpc AV amp with a consumption of 700+ watts would not be a good idea to lay on its side.....however if it only had a consumption of 400watts then possibly you could get away with.....especially if the side that ends up being the top side has a vent in it....

but tbh i wouldnt recommend it if you are not sure in regards to your particular device.....if it costs a bit of money, why risk it......lol

6. ianjm

ianjm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Will keep that in mind and keep the Onkyo flat then :)