1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mounting a Sony VW12 to plaster board ceiling - please help!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Godfather, Oct 12, 2003.

1. Godfather

Godfather

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +224
    I've done a search on this topic and most of them seem to deal with installs where there is access from the floor above. But I live in a flat with a plaster board ceiling, and (understandably) unfriendly neightbours upstairs. Would these 'butterfly' type screws be good enough to hold the projector safely? The plasterboard seems fairly sturdy.

Thanks!

2. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi,

Have a look at this thread.................. the following is an extract...........

With something the size of a 12HT, I'd use an MDF mounting plate about 1ft square for the part of the mount that fits against the ceiling, and I'd use four of the Rawlplug fittings mentioned above..................... but you should satisfy yourself that you're happy with the load carrying ability............... can't be responsible for your DIY exploits !!!!

Sean G.

3. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    The plasterboard must be fixed to something (joists). Locate those and use a mounting plate fixed to said joists then screw your bracket into said mounting plate.

HTH

4. Godfather

Godfather

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +224
    Thanks. Another stupid question - how thick does the mounting plate need to be and where can I get it from?

5. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    I would suggest something like 12mm+ MDF from B&Q. Paint it to match the ceiling and it should blend in. Just make sure it spans at least 2 ceiling joists.

6. Godfather

Godfather

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +224
    That's v. helpful. Next question - how do I locate the joists? Do I just make a big hole in the ceiling and stick my head in? And after I locate them, do I use normal screws to fix the mounting plate to the joists?

When it's all done I'll send you a free DVD. :)

7. dejongj

dejongj
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,566
    Godfather...I followed the same instructions provided above...I used 1inch chipboard, painted it white and let it overhang the width of the two joists. Then fixed my ceiling mount onto that...
    To locate the joists, there is an electronic gizmo from B&Q just like the ones to find electric or plumping in the walls, but for Joists in the ceiling...
    If you trust your hearing you could also know and double check with a braddle...I used the gadget and double checked with the bradle as there was something funny with my ceiling joists....They were actually overlapping at the point I needed to connect....

As I am not a seasoned DIYer...I thought it was really scary and did not want to damage my projector...But it was actually really easy...BTW I did the same with the projection screen.....

8. Godfather

Godfather

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +224
    Dejongj, does this gizmo from B&Q have a name? Sounds like a useful tool I could use.

9. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    It's called a stud detector. Draper or Stanley are probably the most common make although sure B&Q probably do their own at half the price :)

You are looking for something like this

http://***********/qrhj

You don't need one though. You can fnd the joists in a number of other ways too.

1. Look for 'blown' plaster where the nails have been used to fix it to the joists.

2. Tap the ceiling with your knuckles (careful if it is stippled artex as it can hurt) and listen for the different sound. Hollow versus solid.

3. Check with a bradawl, very small screwdriver or dril bit and make small holes one inch apart until you hit wood. Keep doing this to find both sides of the joist so you can then be sure of fixing in to the centre of the joist.

I would do a combination of 2 and 3 if you do not have a stud detector. Even f you do confirm the results with the hole method to ensure you get positioning correct. i.e. ensure you fix into the centre of the joit and not right on the edge.

To find which way the joists are running, look at your roof outside and (assuming you have a normal pitched roof) they will run from gutter side to gutter side. i.e. at 90 degrees to the ridge of the roof.

HTH

10. Godfather

Godfather

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +224
    Looking at the roof is not an option I'm afraid because I live in a ground floor flat in a 5 storey block of apartments. I'll go and tap the ceiling now. :)

11. Godfather

Godfather

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +224
    There are no wooden joists but using a metal detector I managed to locate the metal beams that run across my ceiling (i.e. from left to right). Each beam is about 2" wide and they're spaced out in 2' intervals. The plaster board seems to be screwed into them. Could I attach the mount directly to one of these beams?