Question Mounting a projector screen about 6-7 inches from a wall

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Zoea, Feb 18, 2018.

1. Zoea

Zoea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Projector: Epson EH-TW650
    Screen: Ebay 200*113cm (no recommendation implied I've just unboxed it), about 10kg.

I just typed up a long post but lost it so I'll keep this short. I need the screen 6-7 inches from the wall at the point of hanging (to clear a wall mounted TV). The mounts are just hooks on top of the screen assembly. I was planning on getting some shelf brackets from wilco, 125*150mm, or 150*200mm, and some carbine style hooks / loops, and mounting them with 3 (per bracket) *4mm (width of plugs) *40mm fixings (screws and wallplugs) to the brick wall. The brackets are rated for 18kg but my drill skills are not the best, will the additional moment of inertia of the weight away from the wall require the biggest brackets? Or could I perhaps get away with 125*150, with 125mm against the wall affixed in 3 places per bracket? Will I need longer and maybe thicker plugs and screws? Bear in mind there will be some additional force applied when pulling down the screen.

The room is basement but will need blackout curtains. I don't plan on using the projector full time which is why I'm leaving the 46" TV behind it. I have other options, I was originally planning on affixing large wooden blocks to the wall and fixing to those, but the hook system doesn't seem to favour that. I could also try and hook to the ceiling somehow, but I would need about 1 to 1.5 feet down from the ceiling, so I would need to get chains or something to suspend the screen. I am also unsure about hanging that much weight from 2 fixings alone, though it is a brick ceiling.

Many thanks all and sorry if this sounds curt but I wrote out 150% of these words initially and lost it to MS Edge.

Thanks AVFORUMS.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2018
  2. noiseboy72

noiseboy72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,895
    I think I would hang it from the ceiling from steel cables mounted into expanding eye bolts. Could you not get a screen with a longer black top section, so that the roller mechanism is up against the ceiling and the screen area is then at the correct height?

3. Zoea

Zoea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for the advice. I don't want to buy another screen now and the screen won't look too bad suspended from the ceiling near the wall.
    Do you reckon I could just use a couple of these with steel wire / chains and wall plugs? I would take off the red plastic. They seem quite large but it's otherwise hard to get enough wide thread. I don't

I have gone for the eye bolts they seem strong for my needs. NDD on ebay too.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2018
  4. noiseboy72

noiseboy72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,895
  5. Zoea

Zoea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Those are basically the fixings I got (no hook just eye) but I went a bit shorter perhaps. I didn't get the wires like that though since both ends have loops with no gap so it wouldn't have worked. I am planning to use garden wire (!). Yes I haven't done anything like this before :) I could find some 1.5-2mm steel wire if I have to :)

6. noiseboy72

noiseboy72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,895
    The safety cables I've suggested will work with eyes at both ends. You pass the soft loop through one of the eyes and then pass the free end of the cable through the loop itself. This chokes the cable around the eye, leaving the other end with the carabina ready to connect onto the other hook.

Please don't use garden wire or B&Q chain, as it's not rated for holding things up and could fail unexpectedly. Chem Fix applied into the holes before you tighten up the eyebolts will lock them in very solidly. You could probably hang 50Kgs off it without fear of it coming down!